Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, first off, I have a 2007 R6. Now that that's out of the way, I decided it was time to change my spark plugs. I did and upon completion I started the bike up, then after letting it get up to temp, I racked off the pipes a couple of times. I noticed a fair amount of white smoke followed by a flamethrower! I tried a coupl:cusse more times and got the same results followed buy a huge backfire. I've looked all over this site and others and talked to techs and can't come up with a reason. So, here is what I've done and what's on the bike. It was running perfect before I changed them.

It has a full 2 bros w/pc3 pro tuned.
I took out NGK Cr-10's. I replaced them with the same.
I've made sure all connections are good and proper.
I've taken them back out to look for fouling or discoloration.
Here is the funny part, the gap is supposed to be .028-.030ish.
The plugs I took out was .035, and showed little to no wear.
It runs and idles great, good under high and low RPMs.
I had fuel stabilizer over winter. Fresh oil change. Also, new tank of gas to be sure.
I've re gapped new plugs to match old ones and symptoms improved a little. Ex. Less smoke, smaller flames, and no backfire.
I'm putting the old plugs back in to see if it still does it tomorrow.
Other than that I'm at my wits end!!!!
Please and thanks for any input. :cuss

·
....Casper....
719 Posts
did you actually go ride the thing or just revv it up and decide it was broken?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I changed my plugs this weekend on my 07' as well, I let it idle and get to temp and there was a bit of white smoke as well, it's normal IMO, probably condensation from all winter and it was also cold out. The plugs I pulled out were also in the .035 up to .045 from the previous owner and a bit fouled! I stuck with .025 on all 4 and I'm leaving it that way per factory specs.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts

·
Life, one mile at a time
20 Posts
so, first off, i have a 2007 r6. Now that that's out of the way, i decided it was time to change my spark plugs. I did and upon completion i started the bike up, then after letting it get up to temp, i racked off the pipes a couple of times. I noticed a fair amount of white smoke followed by a flamethrower! I tried a coupl:cusse more times and got the same results followed buy a huge backfire. I've looked all over this site and others and talked to techs and can't come up with a reason. So, here is what i've done and what's on the bike. It was running perfect before i changed them.

It has a full 2 bros w/pc3 pro tuned.

I took out ngk cr-10's. I replaced them with the same.

I've made sure all connections are good and proper.

I've taken them back out to look for fouling or discoloration.

Here is the funny part, the gap is supposed to be .028-.030ish.

The plugs i took out was .035, and showed little to no wear.

It runs and idles great, good under high and low rpms.

I had fuel stabilizer over winter. Fresh oil change. Also, new tank of gas to be sure.

I've re gapped new plugs to match old ones and symptoms improved a little. Ex. Less smoke, smaller flames, and no backfire.

I'm putting the old plugs back in to see if it still does it tomorrow.

Other than that i'm at my wits end!!!!

Please and thanks for any input. :cuss

:/ .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts