Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need help! I cant seem to go out on a full day ride without having the worry that my bike will not turn on after I turn it off. I went and bought a new battery thinking the previous battery was old. But all to my surprise, I went out for a ride the other day, and on my way back home, pulled over, turned the bike off, and when I attempted to turn it back on, the gauges all turned on however, the ignition wouldn't turn on. It kept making the attempt to turn on but wouldn't. After a while of trying, it just started making a rapid clicking noise as if ran out of power. GREAT! Now I'm stranded! Risky move, but the only way I got home that day was by getting a boost from my dads car. Has anyone had or heard of similar issues? Someone told me that It might be the fuses. I've also noticed that the bike heats up real quick and the fans come on very often. Are the fans draining the life out of the bike?
I have read several other post, but everyone seems to have the same issue with the same answer - NONE!

·
Banned
7,325 Posts
when a bike keeps draining the battery while you are out riding, the rectifier isn't allowing the stator to charge the battery or supply power to the system.

what year R6 do you have? I can post up some pics from the service manual that has step by step instructions for checking the charging circuit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took it to a shop around my way and they connected the new battery a and noticed that it wasnt charging so they told me it was the regulator. So I got back on the highway and drove a few exits to the nearest Yamaha dealership - bought the regulator, on in the garage asked a guy with a R1, if he ever had any problems with his battery or knew anyone with this issue, and he also reassured me that it was the regulator - so now feeling a little better knowing I wasn't sent to buy something that wasn't going to fix the problem, I rode back. Got that fixed, and rode around all day - Bike sounded great, not like it was dieing out on me. So if any of you guys are having the same issue - Check your regulator if everything has failed. Good luck - and thanks to the guys who have replied.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Literally having the same issue with my 04 R6. Changed the battery and was back at square one again. I'm so frustrated how much am I looking to spend to get these things fixed?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts