Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

i know this has been asked a million times but what iv read and done to fix it hasnt worked so bare with me

The issues started with the bike not charging. i read through the forum (before i was a member) and read that the stock connector to the rectifier can burn up.

This was the problem so i replaced the stock connector with spade clips without replacing the rectifier. this solved the problem for about three months.

when i realised the bike wasn't charging i checked the spade clips to find the all five wires ( three white, red and black) and the spade clips to be burnt.

i replaced the wiring and spade clips again but this time i replaced the rectifier and battery as well.

this fix once again failed after three weeks again due to it burning up. the only thing I haven't changed is the stator.

if anyone could help me figure out why i keeps burning up would be greatly appreciated.

few back ground info
I usually ride in very wet conditions.
The spade clips are shelded spade clips. (the spade clips are covered).
I have projector headlights with hid's this is installed with a hid relay coming straight from the battery (dunno if this makes a difference but i thought i would add it in).

if you would like photos just say and ill add them
P.s sorry for the amount of writing :p
thanks
Dominic

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
What year and model is your bike?

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
My first thought is the connectors you used may be too small. That connection flows a lot of current, so the connectors need to have the capacity to not overheat. Re-test your rectifier. If your stator is broken that may be the cause of the melted connectors as well as causing damage to the rectifier.

Use these instructions to check out the stator if you haven't already. http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/diagnosis-center/fault-finding-guide

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bike is a 1999 r6
im using 15 amp spade connectors
ill check the stator but each time i replace the connectors there is 13.9v across the battery so would you still get this with a broken stator

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
If the regulator is doing it's job, then you might still see the normal voltage at the battery at idle. The load is small so that doesn't necessarily mean it's working right. Since you've still got problems, you need to dig deeper. That test checks the stator output. There are 3 measurements points to check for proper AC voltage to verify that the stator output is correct. Then do the diode check on the regulator. That verifies current can flow through all 3 paths.

Off the top of my head I can't say whether 15A rated connectors are sufficient.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the regulator is doing it's job, then you might still see the normal voltage at the battery at idle. The load is small so that doesn't necessarily mean it's working right. Since you've still got problems, you need to dig deeper. That test checks the stator output. There are 3 measurements points to check for proper AC voltage to verify that the stator output is correct. Then do the diode check on the regulator. That verifies current can flow through all 3 paths.

Off the top of my head I can't say whether 15A rated connectors are sufficient.
thanks for your help ill let you know what happens

·
she already got me broke
168 Posts
i usually had the same problem with my bike till i replaced the stock connector with single clips. you probly have another issue like a bad stator so it produces a higher current on your wiring, just saying. like one guy said earlier, you gotta make sure to use the proper wire diameter for the R/R. my bike its also a`99 and i love it. even after two bad crashes lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts