Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has any one done or does any one know how to put in a new ignition?

my buddy has a ninja 500 and someone stole it by jamming a screw driver in the ignition, we ended up getting it back and buying a new ignition. it seems to be welded on to the triple tree or something so we cant figure out how to get it off. im sure it is not too different from the r6. any help or prior experiences would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I"m doing an r1 front fork conversion and the tripple trees I bought has the ingnition still on it. My buddy who works sheet metal told me that it is just a metal cap thats over the bolt for theft reasons. (why anyone would steal an ignition, I don't know) He said to just drill a small hole down the center, then use an easy out (bolt and screw extractor) to unscrew it. You'll probably need to buy new hardware though. Well see. He's doing it for me tomorrow.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I"m doing an r1 front fork conversion and the tripple trees I bought has the ingnition still on it. My buddy who works sheet metal told me that it is just a metal cap thats over the bolt for theft reasons. (why anyone would steal an ignition, I don't know) He said to just drill a small hole down the center, then use an easy out (bolt and screw extractor) to unscrew it. You'll probably need to buy new hardware though. Well see. He's doing it for me tomorrow.
so how do u go about removing the security bolts

·
Tha 5 star Manic Mechanic
1,126 Posts
Those are tamper proof screws whereas at the time of manufacture the plant screws the threads down tight until the head breaks off of the screw so as to prevent removal, we have a special tool to remove them for recalls, its not available to the public, I suggest taking the clamp to a dealer and having it removed and reinstalled, takes no more than 20 minutes with a GOOD tech once the clamp is off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts