Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why does it stall out when i turn it on after about 1 minute or so, heres a video of what it does...a buddy of mine says it might be the rectifier, what do you guys think?

http://vimeo.com/9541508

any help is appreciated, ps i have no power commander

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
one way to find out, hook a multimeter up to the battery terminals and see what the voltage is while it's running. I've never seen a newer electronically controlled bike not have at least 14v at idle if it's working properly.
it should have min 14v at 5K rpm. if it doesn't, then you have a charging problem.

but since your bike turns over so easily, I don't think your bike is running off the battery. when that happens it drains the battery so far it's almost dead. and it will not turn the motor over that easy like yours does.

your idle is pulsing up and down a lot. that's an indication something isn't right with it. I'm surprised you don't have any codes on the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
one way to find out, hook a multimeter up to the battery terminals and see what the voltage is while it's running. I've never seen a newer electronically controlled bike not have at least 14v at idle if it's working properly.
it should have min 14v at 5K rpm. if it doesn't, then you have a charging problem.

but since your bike turns over so easily, I don't think your bike is running off the battery. when that happens it drains the battery so far it's almost dead. and it will not turn the motor over that easy like yours does.

your idle is pulsing up and down a lot. that's an indication something isn't right with it. I'm surprised you don't have any codes on the instrument cluster.
thanks for taking time to help out, a buddy of mine hooked a meter to the battery terminals, and everything was running right so it's not a charging problem..so he finally came to the conclusion that its the rectifier..

any more inputs anyone? help is appreciated!

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
if you are getting the proper voltages the rectifier is working properly...
your bike has something else going on besides the charging circuit.

start looking at other things. your bike has a built in diagnostic feature. you don't need special diagnostic equipment to diagnose problems with the electronics.

download the service manual, it shows you how to use all of these features.
http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/...254-r6-service-maintenance-repair-manual.html

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh yeah i forgot to mention that once i warm it up to about 170-180 it would stay on nomore problems, but if its under that temperature then it would stall out

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
why does it stall out when i turn it on after about 1 minute or so, heres a video of what it does...a buddy of mine says it might be the rectifier, what do you guys think?

http://vimeo.com/9541508

any help is appreciated, ps i have no power commander
It's not the rectifier bro. You're buddy is clueless.

oh yeah i forgot to mention that once i warm it up to about 170-180 it would stay on nomore problems, but if its under that temperature then it would stall out
What exhaust and air filter do you have on the bike? If it's all stock, check the air filter. Maybe it's filthy, or has disintegrated.

What it sounds like is the typical sound of having an exhaust or high flow filter on the bike, but not having a power commander to compensate for it. TONS of bike fluctuate at idle after putting exhausts on etc.. I bet in the ECU right at about 110 degrees it starts to ease back on the "choke" (extra fuel) and it stalls out. Once the bike is warmed up you don't need the choke effect and the bike runs without stalling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, new here and was looking for info on this problem - i have somewhat of the same problem going on and was wondering how you remedied the issue. Tho with my 08 r6 it will stall/die even after warmed up, at 8k+ rpms on the highway >.< Been doing it very sporadically for the last 2 months now(sometimes wont give any issue for weeks at a time), primarly since the addition of a 520 (-1/+2) kit...and just last week i added a k&n high flow. For the last 2 weeks been googling like crazy trying to figure out whats up. Any help would be appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts