Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, here's the situation.
When I got my 2010 r6, there were blinkers in the rear seat compartment. I just recently decided to take the old eye sores off and put these guys on. They are the hotbody racing ones. I put them on today, and now none of my blinkers work. The signal on the dash board wont even work for blinkers. The right turn signal indicator will flash, but is much more dim than usual and sometimes wont even blink. The left one wont even turn on. I put one on last night and it worked, but I didnt have something I needed to mount it, so I completed the job today. I put the blinkers on by cutting the stock blinker wire and spicing in the new ones. They only have the blinker and the ground, so I just taped up the running light wire.
So far I've changed the fuse (it blew when I put them on). And I bought an LED relay. The relay just blows the fuse every time. The stock one wont blow the fuse, but nothing works.
I think it may be a wire shorted, but would that cause those problems? wouldn't the indicators still work? and since I didn't mess with that much wiring, would a short be that likely?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Im going to look at the connections tomorrow and redo everything and see if that helps! I might also just buy new blinkers. Maybe they're the problem.

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
So, here's the situation.
When I got my 2010 r6, there were blinkers in the rear seat compartment. I just recently decided to take the old eye sores off and put these guys on. They are the hotbody racing ones. I put them on today, and now none of my blinkers work. The signal on the dash board wont even work for blinkers. The right turn signal indicator will flash, but is much more dim than usual and sometimes wont even blink. The left one wont even turn on. I put one on last night and it worked, but I didnt have something I needed to mount it, so I completed the job today. I put the blinkers on by cutting the stock blinker wire and spicing in the new ones. They only have the blinker and the ground, so I just taped up the running light wire.
So far I've changed the fuse (it blew when I put them on). And I bought an LED relay. The relay just blows the fuse every time. The stock one wont blow the fuse, but nothing works.
I think it may be a wire shorted, but would that cause those problems? wouldn't the indicators still work? and since I didn't mess with that much wiring, would a short be that likely?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Im going to look at the connections tomorrow and redo everything and see if that helps! I might also just buy new blinkers. Maybe they're the problem.
Blowing fuses means you have a short. That would also explain the blinkers not working. You'll need to check the wiring again. Grab the service manual and use the very back which has a wiring diagram. Check the whole circuit, right from the battery to the grounds. Front signals too. There is a bad connection somewhere.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to take the fairings off tomorrow and go through everything and look for a short. It just strikes me as odd that it would develop. They worked fine before and I didn't mess with too much wiring. Would that cause the blinker indicators to not work as well?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nah man... I just filled that up the other day... unless there's a leak in my blinker fluid tank? Dang.. just too many variables...

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
Some other things:

Relay shouldn't be blowing the fuse. It suggests something is wrong.

Light on the dash is in series with the turn signal lights. It only comes on when they are blinking.

Take some photos of all your connections, that might help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, just wanted to let you guys know that I fixed the problem.
I replaced the blinkers with new ones and it worked fine. I believe that it may have been a short in the blinker itself. Thanks for all your help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts