Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Should i I have let my mechanic skull f*** me for $600 forthis job or was it worth the learning

• Shoulda took some vicks sore throat and took it

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Good learning experience and money saved

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 yzf r6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. I went to adjust my valve clearances instead of paying $600 but just checked them and they were within spec. But now that I got the spark plugs in the Ignition cables in the valve cover on And the throttle bodies and Air filter Box back on I'm lost. I somehow messed up. The 2nd pic is of 2 rad lines that go nowhere lol and I showed the ends. And 3rd pic is are where I'm lost. The one is where i think a line goes on the left male connection to the tank.first pic is just an extra line i put on the tank thats not where it goes is last
    Extra9.jpg
    Bike rad6.jpg
    Hjj3.jpg
    Left03049.jpg

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Learning experiences often cost money. It's just a matter whether you want to be bothered, versus whether or not you'll save money. Once one gains more tools and experiences, only THEN does the money aspect become more of a guarantee. DIY oil change? For people who are completely green, there are some who will strip-out the drain pan bolt, just for example. Just make sure you know when you're in over your head. Consequences for screwing up some threads under that engine cover with over-torquing or other are higher than a drain pan bolt. Brakes? THE most important thing on any vehicle. If green, don't take chances. Close supervision from an experienced individual goes a long way when one is really green. But even even experienced mechanics occasionally run into "learning" experiences. (aside from just, human-error)

Give me a few minutes. I'll mark-up your images and repost them...

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
One trick I've used, is to take detailed photos, before things come apart.
It might be weeks or months before things go back together again.

This goes to your fuel pressure regulator. It will have a really special connector on it. Do this right or risk leaking fuel onto a hot engine.

The top coolant line runs over to the coolant reservoir cap.
One of the other two run over to the auto-choke cylinder.

One on the right (red) is your coolant reservoir cap.
If you have a non-California model, the fuel tank vents to pen air.

Blue on the left... not really sure what that is. Don't think mine has that.
Two blue top-right, are the coolant connections for the auto choke. One line goes to the radiator. The other line goes to the cylinder head.
The one bottom-right, goes to your fuel pump. (the missing connection in your photo)

Too grainy and hazy for me to make out.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Do not attempt to put power to this vehicle until every line can be verified... whether it's by mechanic or by us (plural) here.

·
Registered
2003 yzf r6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do not attempt to put power to this vehicle until every line can be verified... whether it's by mechanic or by us (plural) here.
I'm gonna take everything back off to where I can see the cam shafts and then make sure I get everything put back the right way

·
Registered
2003 yzf r6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

View attachment 374850
This goes to your fuel pressure regulator. It will have a really special connector on it. Do this right or risk leaking fuel onto a hot engine.

View attachment 374851

View attachment 374852

View attachment 374853
Two blue top-right, are the coolant connections for the auto choke. One line goes to the radiator. The other line goes to the cylinder head.
The one bottom-right, goes to your fuel pump. (the missing connection in your photo)

View attachment 374854
That's going on the one your bike doesn't have. I'm outta town at my son's bday I took that from a video that shows everything better. Let me either get a better shot or figure it how o

View attachment 374850

View attachment 374851

View attachment 374852

View attachment 374853

View attachment 374854
Watch this. I've since taken apart so I can lube the camshafts

·
Registered
2003 yzf r6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the piece. But I won't back to Bakersfield til tomorrow it'd my son's bday. I'll try to make extra sure everything is documented and correct as I reassemble everything for the last time. After thus I should have valve clearance adjustments down on 03 r6
Weird piece .jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts