Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
My R6 eats Cookies.
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,

I bought a K&N oil filter from Cyclegear that works fine but the bolt on the end won't allow my shift rod to sit properly. It won't reassemble to it's place. Is there a fix for this? Or, Can I remove the filter without draining the oil? (I filled the engine with oil before I found out the filter wouldn't work). Any suggestions. If I can remove it then no problem but I am afraid of spilling to much oil. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
If you haven't started it yet, you won't have much oil come out if you pull it back off. Probably the easiest work around would be to cut that bolt head off, it's just an easy way for people to over tighten filters anyways.

Remember as with everything else K&N makes, it flows more, but it also lets more dirt through too. <-- Not really related, but most people get fixated on the fact that the filter is a "K&N" and has a bolt head on the end, and don't really care that it isn't very good at filtering oil. Just sort of a heads up.

·
Premium Member
6,439 Posts
Just let it sit and then take the filter off in the morning. I personally wouldn't cut it still installed. Mine usually holds 2.5-2.7 quarts, so just add the additional .3-.5 quarts that would have been the filter capacity. Check it to make sure it's at proper level, and voila.

Take it off, throw it in the garbage, and go get you a new filter that DOES fit properly. Problem is then solved.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I'd be too impatient to cut it by hand, plus lot of stuff in the way. But you could use a cut off wheel on a dremel, or a small cut off wheel on a die grinder. Or just cut across the nut where the shift rod goes, with an angle grinder and grinding wheel. Just becareful not to cut the actual filter. No matter what it wouldn't be pretty, but it'd clear.

^^Or as mentioned get a better filter.

·
My R6 eats Cookies.
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd be too impatient to cut it by hand, plus lot of stuff in the way. But you could use a cut off wheel on a dremel, or a small cut off wheel on a die grinder. Or just cut across the nut where the shift rod goes, with an angle grinder and grinding wheel. Just becareful not to cut the actual filter. No matter what it wouldn't be pretty, but it'd clear.

^^Or as mentioned get a better filter.
Dude I bought another filter this morning. Took the old one off (lost very little oil) and put new filter on.

Case closed. :flex:

·
Premium Member
6,439 Posts
Exactly. And note to self: Do not buy another K&N oil filter. Or at least buy the right one if you do it again!

·
Impossible is Nothing.
4,278 Posts
really, ive got an 09, and use them, no issues with clearance between the shift rod and bolt...thats weird...glad you got it fixed though

·
R6 Junkie
2,534 Posts
You bought the wrong filter, the correct K&N filter is the KN-204, it is shorter than the one you got so it fits in there with no problems and the nut makes it alot easier to get on and off. K&N makes 2 that is listed for the R6 but they are different lengths as you found out, and the K&N oil filters are good filters i have used them for years in numerous bikes and never a problem, they filter just fine!

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
and the K&N oil filters are good filters i have used them for years in numerous bikes and never a problem, they filter just fine!
They aren't necessarily sub-standard filtering wise, but they are essentially as good at filtering oil as your basic Fram or STP filter. While this is "good enough", I want a little more out of a $10 filter. Most of the other filters in this price range do quite a bit better job at filtering oil. Like I mentioned though, you are sacrificing some oil flow, but even the nicer filters flow as much as any other filter, the K&N just flows more oil than a standard filter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts