Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i recently purchased a vortex 520 conversion kit to replace the factory chain that is well in need of being replaced. I have a buddy that is more than qualified to preform the work, i just need to know what if any specialty tools i need to make available to him to do the work. Second question, will the chain come in being the correct length or do some links need to be removed to make it the proper size? thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
chances are high the chain will come long and you'll need to remove links. If you bought a clip style master you don't need anything except maybe a screwdriver and pair of pliers. If you got a rivet style master, you'll need a rivet tool.

·
Registered
23 Posts
chances are high the chain will come long and you'll need to remove links. If you bought a clip style master you don't need anything except maybe a screwdriver and pair of pliers. If you got a rivet style master, you'll need a rivet tool.
If you got a clip style master link, throw it away and get a rivet style link. Clip style master links have no place on the street. I have seen too many of these fall off.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
If you got a clip style master link, throw it away and get a rivet style link. Clip style master links have no place on the street. I have seen too many of these fall off.
Clip style master really have no place being on a bike anywhere, but some people are to lazy to have someone install a rivet style for them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
the chains are usually longer u removes links and might need a rivetting tool. only if u have problems getting it on or linking the chain together

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
You need a chain breaker if you dont have a clip master link. They are about 50 bucks at your local shop.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just did this 2 weeks ago. Get a "Motion Pro" chain braker & Riveting Tool kit. It was 80$ but WELL worth is. Its a Pain in the ars to use, but in the long run ,it came out clean like from the factory. My RK 520 chain came 2 links over stock. So I had to take off 1 link from 1 side and 1 link from the opposite so the master linke would be right.

Clip master links are BAD!!!! Get a Rivet master link. Any q's feel free to PM. My instal went great. Take the Vortex sprocket back and get an AFAM.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought a chain breaker from an agri-supply store for $18. Use a dremel tool or other grinding tool to level a rivet and use the breaker to push it through cleanly without damaging the chain. I used a clip style master. I suspect that the failing clip style links you mention are failing due to not reading directions and mounting the clip in the wrong direction so that inertia pulls the clip off. Simple mistake. I didn't have any probs with mine and haven't heard of them causing problems. Anything is possible though. Those concerned with clipped master links failing: what do you think about safety wiring them?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts