Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As in my earlier posts I recently purchased my R6 from someone that knew nothing about them. Today I attempted to tighten the chain and noticed something "off" about the non-nut side. From my expeirence the axle should be recessed inside with the flat ends on each side to keep axle from turning when I try to loosen the nut. I've tried everything I could think of to get this loose but it was obviously put on with an impact and a 600lb gorilla.
Any ideas??

Non-nut side

Nut side

· pin it to win it
8,052 Posts
Get the pb blaster out man, soak that sucker. Is the non nut side spinning? Got a friend with a impact?

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the responses. This axle is spinning so if I can get a good grip on the non nut side I think I can make some progress. So far I've tried a large crescent wrench to hold the axle in place but everything I get on there is too think to get a solid grip.
Worst case scenario I grind/cut it off and buy one off eBay. It's getting to that point though.

· pin it to win it
8,052 Posts
Yup time to cut/grind. if it's that much trouble it's worth just getting another

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Holy shit. That might be the dumbest thing I've seen on a non-Kawasaki. I'd go through that thing with a fine tooth comb to find all the other ****-ups. You know there's going to be more.
I know right! I have never worked on bikes only cars but the stuff I've found on this bike has blew my mind! Also nevermind the rhino liner paint on the swingarm. It's coming off after I get done with this fiasco :rocket

· pin it to win it
8,052 Posts
Cut off wheel should work. Just take your time and don't cut the swingarm

· pin it to win it
8,052 Posts
I'll never understand why people crank axle nuts and drain plugs so tight.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE- I got off work early, started drinking a few beers and got enough liquid courage to try one more time. I grabbed the non nut side with vice grips and squeezed with all my strength and with my right foot pressed down on the breaker bar. It slowly came loose with out any damage to the bike or parts! "Great Success" (Borat voice):YEA

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.