Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
track rookie
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a set of track bodywork and I'm stumped at how to mount the tail section. The bodywork is from a company called iTrackRace, which mainly sells on ebay. Yes, these are cheap plastics compared to AB, Shark, etc, but they seem to be similarly made to Optimals (maybe from same manufacturer in China?).

Regardless, I could use some input from folks that have installed superbike tails. When I fit the tail over the subframe w/o any supports, it fits GREAT!

Here is the tail just sitting on subframe (sorry, phone pic)...

However, I'm 215lbs so I need to use the support pieces. I have two identical mount pieces, but no idea on how to mount them. I assume one goes towards the rear and the other goes near the battery, but no configuration that I have tried has fit well. Here is one of the pieces semi-mounted behind the battery on the subframe, but hell, it might not go there either. I just don't know.

Anyone use this kit or similar that knows how this is supposed to mount? Again, I have two mount pieces that are identical to the one pictured. Oh, and i emailed iTrack twice and have not heard back yet.

Thanks!

·
I Race Motorcycles
361 Posts
Not sure for the R6 but I know for a fact that for gsxrs that piece mounts to the underside of the sbk tail using pop rivets. Find a spot where it would rest on your subframe and conform to the shape of the tail and that should be the mounting point on the tail.

·
I hate you Turn 4!
1,890 Posts
I have the same set but for an 08-09. I used a wing nut and bolt with washers on both sides to attach the u shaped piece to the frame doesn't allow the seat to move up and down and holds it in place really well. I also took the seat foam and shaved it down and placed it uderneath the front of the seat were it meets the tank. Even less movement and then ran acouple piece of duct tape around the edge by the tank so it doesn't rub up against the tank. I'll post up a pic the how I attached the undertail support when I get home tonight around 9

·
I hate you Turn 4!
1,890 Posts
so here is mine, instead of cutting the undertail bracket I bought a 2in wide 1/8 thick piece of aluminum at HD and drilled 4 holes, 2 for attaching it to the subframe and 2 to attach the seat to the frame.

IMAG0857 by aaronk277, on Flickr

IMAG0859 by aaronk277, on Flickr

IMAG0861 by aaronk277, on Flickr

·
track rookie
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks all for the replies.

aaron - I appreciate the pics! I like the metal bracket setup. Have you had any issues running it this way? I obviously won't be putting any weight on the tail, other than a gopro, so seems like that should be okay.

As for the provided support piece, I believe I have mine in the same basic spot and direction as yours, but I still have a rather large gap at the tank area. My pop rivets don't hold that well either, so that could be the other issue. I'll copy your bracket setup and your wingnut bolts and see how it goes. Thanks again.

·
I hate you Turn 4!
1,890 Posts
thanks all for the replies.

aaron - I appreciate the pics! I like the metal bracket setup. Have you had any issues running it this way? I obviously won't be putting any weight on the tail, other than a gopro, so seems like that should be okay.

As for the provided support piece, I believe I have mine in the same basic spot and direction as yours, but I still have a rather large gap at the tank area. My pop rivets don't hold that well either, so that could be the other issue. I'll copy your bracket setup and your wingnut bolts and see how it goes. Thanks again.
Those two black looking plates(cann't remember what they are called) clipped over the metal and on the underside have a machine threaded screw that I use to attach the seat directly to. I ended up picking those up at a local fastner shop by where I work, though I think HD has them too not sure though.

As for the gap, I guess I'd had to see a pic to better understand were the concern is. Post up another pic and I'll try to help you out as much as I can.

As far as issues go, None what so ever the seat is down tight and doesn't move at all

·
track rookie
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
finally got my bodywork mounted. For the tail, instead of mounting the support piece, I ended up just using about 1.5" of foam between the subframe and tail. That's the only way I could get it to mount properly. Seems fairly sturdy, but I'll know for sure at Barber this coming weekend.

Oh, and I sent at least 5 emails to iTrack and never heard back. Definitely wouldn't recommend them for customer service. And part of my upper cracked around the radiator during install, so we'll see how long this set lasts....

·
Sammiches
1,435 Posts
Thread jack for my own issue. I have an armour bodies SBK tail and am unsure how to mount the seat support piece. I called woodcraft and they said it just floats in there which seems counterintuitive. 2007 and here's a pic:

Help cause I'm dumb.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Scoot it forward so the lip rest on the tank bracket. Then it lines up with those holes in the subframe. I just went thru the same deal. Doesn't fit for shit so I took my dremel to it and made it fit.

·
Sammiches
1,435 Posts
Scoot it forward so the lip rest on the tank bracket. Then it lines up with those holes in the subframe. I just went thru the same deal. Doesn't fit for shit so I took my dremel to it and made it fit.
I'll give that a whirl tomorrow or the day after. Just seems kinda dumb to have something floating around in there and sitting on top of all the electrical guts.:dunce:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts