Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Where Am I?
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 2003 R6 today after not having a bike for over 7 years. It feels great to be riding again, but I have a question about the bike I just purchased. It came with Vortex rearsets and an integrated turn signal rear brake light. I noticed that when I press the rear brake, the light does not come on. When I use the lever, it has to be pulled in a very specific way for it to stay on. It stays off more so than on when the lever is pulled. Is this a common problem and should I just return to the OEM brake light? The turn signals work fine.

Thanks!

·
Just lean harder...
884 Posts
Vortex rearsets have no provision for the factory brake switch, they need to have a hydraulic pressure switch installed on the rear master cylinder. The front switch might be damaged or the lever is not contacting it properly, kind of weird because the switch is depressed to turn off the brake light.

·
Where Am I?
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vortex rearsets have no provision for the factory brake switch, they need to have a hydraulic pressure switch installed on the rear master cylinder. The front switch might be damaged or the lever is not contacting it properly, kind of weird because the switch is depressed to turn off the brake light.
Thanks for the information, I am going to purchase the pressure switch. Also, the front might be a short because it seems to light up right when the lever is pulled but depending on where its pulled it will flash on and off.

I have a pressure switch that phrozen mentioned above for sale, made by vortex, if you're interested.

Shoot me a pm :)
PM sent, I accidentally sent two.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,506 Posts
Zip tie BOOM! :fact

·
Where Am I?
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took another look at it today. When I squeeze the lever, it initiates the rear brake light. As I pull it back and stop it still stays lit. But, if I let of of it just a little bit, it turns off and does not turn back on if I squeeze again. All of this is within the same pull.

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
525 Posts
I took another look at it today. When I squeeze the lever, it initiates the rear brake light. As I pull it back and stop it still stays lit. But, if I let of of it just a little bit, it turns off and does not turn back on if I squeeze again. All of this is within the same pull.
Do you have aftermarket levers?

I had the same problem with my levers. There is a little electric switch that contacts with brake lever. When you pull the lever in, there is a spring loaded plunger on the switch that pushes out. When it comes out, the switch turns ON and the brake light illuminates. When you release the lever, the lever pushes the plunger back in and the switch goes OFF.

There is likely a bad interaction happening with that switch when you pull the lever out. That's what happened with my levers. I had to grind a bit of the lever away where it meets the plunger to make it work properly.

Also check the operation of that switch. If it's not working properly, replacing it should fix your problem.

·
Where Am I?
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have aftermarket levers?

I had the same problem with my levers. There is a little electric switch that contacts with brake lever. When you pull the lever in, there is a spring loaded plunger on the switch that pushes out. When it comes out, the switch turns ON and the brake light illuminates. When you release the lever, the lever pushes the plunger back in and the switch goes OFF.

There is likely a bad interaction happening with that switch when you pull the lever out. That's what happened with my levers. I had to grind a bit of the lever away where it meets the plunger to make it work properly.

Also check the operation of that switch. If it's not working properly, replacing it should fix your problem.

Thanks for the great info. I will give that a shot. I ended up ordering new levers and also the pressure switch for the rear brakes. The rear brake works great now. I will just have to wait until the levers get here and see if that solves the problem. I noticed that the brake lever does have a crack in it but nothing that hinders it from activating the switch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.