Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey I bought a 2006 yamaha r6 (not the s version) June of this year and its been a blast. but theres a problem with it that has been really annoying me for a while now.

When I cold start the bike in the morning before i head to work, it starts off fine. then when the temperature of the bike hit around 106-108 it just shuts off. like completely shut off. I would have to restart the bike several times for it to work again and the temperature gauge would read 118. after that it works fine. this problem started ever since i got the bike. ive been dealing with it for a while now and now its getting really annoying. Ive been to numerous bike shops in town and none of them cant figure out the problem. At first i thought it was the TPS problem and i replaced 1 of them but it didnt work. I replaced the air filter. i think one of the bike shops did a "valve adjustment" but im not sure if thats been done correctly. Im starting to think i bought a lemon :( HELP

PS: there are days where it starts up and warm up perfectly fine without cutting off but that VERY rare. The guys in the shop have no clue. help guys. theres no diagnostic code that pops up or nothing. maybe its the auto-choke?

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
maybe its the auto-choke?
That might be the right thinking. I'm not an expert on what the ecu does, but the it clearly switches over to some different mapping once there's a bit of heat in the bike. Mine did that for a little while. At the transition point it would stumble and the revs would drop just enough to stall. It took a couple cranks to restart and it would be fine after that, so I didn't worry too much.

For me, it started after I had Chief update my ecu, so I assumed it was related to that and/or the colder weather. I checked my valve clearances and they were all in spec. Chief then made some tweaks to my Bazzaz map and I haven't had it happen since. I can still tell when it transitions between maps, but it never stalls out anymore.

For now, you can probably work-around it by cracking the throttle a bit to bring the revs up when it's going to switch over.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts