Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have a 99 R6 and jut yesterday i had to re-fuel and found out that my gas cap wouldnt unlock....it opened earlier in the day but when i tried to go to unlock it again the key wouldnt turn at all....its stuck, i sprayed a lil WD-40 in the key hole to see if that would help but it didnt. I was wondering if this was a common problem or if anybody knows how i could fix it or at least get it open to put gas in it....thanks

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Did you get stuck at the gas station!? :lmao

j/k, I've never heard of it, gl finding a fix.

·
R-Sex
422 Posts
I know this may sound a little "ghetto" but use a small flathead screwdriver with a little pressure and it should open up for you. that happened with my old F4i before and the flathead did the trick.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha no i didnt get stuck at the gas station i made it home on fumes...but thanks ill try that small screw driver today when i get home and let you know if that helps any.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
It will take more than a small screwdriver, i wish was that easy. I bought a tank on ebay about a year ago and the cap/lock was still on it and closed when it came, obviously I didn't have the key. I had to stick a full size flat head screw driver and bang the back end with a hammer. After about 10 minutes of hammering, the screw driver was far enough in it to brake the cylinder (which was what i was trying to do) and I could just turn it with the screw driver and pop it open.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
No, because i wasn't banging the tank at all, just the end of the screwdriver directly into the keyhole.
keep in mind you WILL COMPLETELY DESTROY the lock/gas cap though!!! In my situation I didn't need the lock/gas cap that was on the tank, since i already had one that i had a key for.

·
rockin the '08
3,074 Posts
this is gonna sounds lame I'm sure but here goes...

I have a '00 and my gas gap sits up tad...still has a perfect seal but i have to push the cap down in order to turn the key and open the cap.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
this is gonna sounds lame I'm sure but here goes...

I have a '00 and my gas gap sits up tad...still has a perfect seal but i have to push the cap down in order to turn the key and open the cap.
Doesn't sound lame to me..... because mine is the same way and i have to do the same thing.

·
Daily Bike Commuter
104 Posts
Maybe there's a fragment or something stuck in there which is keeping you from inserting the key fully. Try picking at it or a can of air.

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
maybe someone put super glue into your key hole..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
k well the little screw driver didnt work, looks like the only option i have left is to break that shit, i tryed to unscrew it but it didnt budge when i took all those top screws off of it...im thinking there is a special way to take that off...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts