Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I am very mechanically inclined and have installed numerous HID kits on vehicles and bikes and have never had this problem.

I installed my Kryptnbulbs HID kit (which was the fastest shipping I have ever had and great customer service!!) and am having issues. The lights will not come on with the initial start up of the bike. They flash and then dont ignite. After the bike warms up for about 1 or 2 minutes and I turn it off and restart it, the lights come on fine.

Does anyone know what the issue could be? Thanks in advance

·
Banned
3,295 Posts
You should PM Krypton. He's a cool guy and will answer you question throughly. But My bright flickers for about 2secs then is ok but they do need a warm up period.. but idk about 2minutes

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know once they are ignited they take a minute to "charge up" and get to full light output...but they wont come on at all. They flash on then turn back off. They wont come on and stay on until I let the bike warm up for a minute first.

·
Premium Member
20,431 Posts
What if you turn the key on then off and then back on? Or is it only after the bike has been running for a few?

·
Go Ahead
2,705 Posts
ballasts require more power to fire up initially and your stator is trying to fire up all your lights, fues, relays, etc... You could prob:

1. Get a headlight delay kit, i think tripageled.com sells one. Not sure

2. new stator (yours could possible have a slight voltage drop after that many years)

3. new battery (maybe yours isn't 100% peak so the stator is having to send more power there)

-Ant.

edit. switch out #2 and #3. That's a better order.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
ballasts require more power to fire up initially and your stator is trying to fire up all your lights, fues, relays, etc... You could prob:

2. new stator (yours could possible have a slight voltage drop after that many years)

3. new battery (maybe yours isn't 100% peak so the stator is having to send more power there)

-Ant.
I vote #1. You can pick one up on ebay for $5 shipped. Just search for HID Relay.

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts

-Ant.
^^^ This...:fact

·
"Krypton"
1,086 Posts
Hey man, got your message and then got on to pm you and saw this. This is some good info from these guys... I am wondering about your battery.

I will have delay kits available shortly ( probably in about 2 weeks)

But for now it would be quicker to go with one of the other sources suggested. Even just a regular relay kit may work.

Sorry I wasn't available earlier.... family party

I haven't looked your order up yet. Was it a 1 bulb or 2 bulb kit? If two. How does the high work?

·
R6 Junkie
2,534 Posts
You can also just wire a plain jane on/off switch in the power wire and leave it turned off until your bike has time to start and charge up then flip it on, thats what i did and works like a charm.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am going to swap batteries out with a buddy and see if that fixes the problem. I had another set of HIDs on there with the relay kit running to the battery before and had no problems.

As for the highbeam, it takes 3 trys before it will come on too.

·
"Krypton"
1,086 Posts
I am going to swap batteries out with a buddy and see if that fixes the problem. I had another set of HIDs on there with the relay kit running to the battery before and had no problems.

As for the highbeam, it takes 3 trys before it will come on too.
ok bro, let me know how it goes. why did you remove your old HID's?

Do you still have the old relay kit? It may plug right in.

I have single bulb relay kits (you need singles for the r6 cuz they are individually controlled) coming in on tuesday.

Other than that I have the 2 bulb relay kits now.

I should have delay relay kits available in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The HIDs were a expensive set from Japan I bought with real Phillips 4300K bulbs, had it in my car. Decided to sell the car and pulled the lights but wanted some 6000K for the bike. Buddy offered me money for my old kit laying in the house so I took the cash and bought the ones i wanted from you.

I dont have the relay kit anymore. I have a dual bulb kit and a dual relay would be fine, that would just allow both lights to draw the power directly from the battery and get the remote signal from the stock harness.

I will check the battery first tho...I have talked to a few bike shops locally and they said that the lights should work fine as a plug and play. Ill know by tomorrow hopefully.

·
Go Ahead
2,705 Posts
Hmm if it takes 3 tries to get the high beam side up, there is an issue somewhere. Not necessarily in the HID area. Let us know how the battery works out, you could have a weak stator and if you do, thank god..well Us here at r6-forum you found out this way and not while you were out riding somewhere.

-Ant.

·
"Krypton"
1,086 Posts
The HIDs were a expensive set from Japan I bought with real Phillips 4300K bulbs, had it in my car. Decided to sell the car and pulled the lights but wanted some 6000K for the bike. Buddy offered me money for my old kit laying in the house so I took the cash and bought the ones i wanted from you.

I dont have the relay kit anymore. I have a dual bulb kit and a dual relay would be fine, that would just allow both lights to draw the power directly from the battery and get the remote signal from the stock harness.

I will check the battery first tho...I have talked to a few bike shops locally and they said that the lights should work fine as a plug and play. Ill know by tomorrow hopefully.
the dual relay would make both bulbs be on at all times, this is why you would need single relay kits

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wont lie, I have no clue what a "stator" is but I ride my bike almost every day, rode 100 miles today and am about to head out on it again. I dont have any issues with it starting or turning over...just the lights.

How much is a stator and what does it do?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I wont lie, I have no clue what a "stator" is but I ride my bike almost every day, rode 100 miles today and am about to head out on it again. I dont have any issues with it starting or turning over...just the lights.

How much is a stator and what does it do?
Stator is what charges the battery. As already mentioned if your battery is weak, or your stator isn't putting out enough voltage to get the battery voltage already up, the ballasts for the HIDs aren't going to work right. Stick a volt meter on the battery, and check battery voltage sitting there, battery voltage while starting, and battery voltage once it's running, between those three numbers hopefully it will point to a charging problem, or a battery problem.

And you can have a charging problem or battery problem and still have the bike be rideable.

·
"Krypton"
1,086 Posts
Stator is what charges the battery. As already mentioned if your battery is weak, or your stator isn't putting out enough voltage to get the battery voltage already up, the ballasts for the HIDs aren't going to work right. Stick a volt meter on the battery, and check battery voltage sitting there, battery voltage while starting, and battery voltage once it's running, between those three numbers hopefully it will point to a charging problem, or a battery problem.

And you can have a charging problem or battery problem and still have the bike be rideable.
Very nice Ohio... I might just have to copy and paste this :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts