Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my DDM tuning HIDS for almost a year... for the past couple of days they just refuse to work.Usually a quick replugging of the everything makes it work but it didn't this time. I checked my battery and wiring and it seems to all be in good condition. I took it to the Yamaha dealership to see if they could solve the problem and they are usually very helpful and they couldn't find anything wrong with the wiring or anything else. But when we cut the bike on the HIDS came on then went off again.. do you think its the ballasts or so other problem, any advice is welcome.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I've had my DDM tuning HIDS for almost a year... for the past couple of days they just refuse to work.Usually a quick replugging of the everything makes it work but it didn't this time. I checked my battery and wiring and it seems to all be in good condition. I took it to the Yamaha dealership to see if they could solve the problem and they are usually very helpful and they couldn't find anything wrong with the wiring or anything else. But when we cut the bike on the HIDS came on then went off again.. do you think its the ballasts or so other problem, any advice is welcome.
It could be that the bulbs are going bad. I had the same thing happen to me in my car. They HID's would work intermittently and then eventually stopped working all together. How do you have them wired? Is there a relay? Do both of them come on with the bike? Try unplugging them, starting the bike, then plugging them in while the bike is running.

If it is the ballasts, DDM has a warranty, but they also have horrendous customer service. If it's the bulbs, I'm selling a set with less than 500 miles ont them, PM me if interested.

·
I <3 Slick Mist.
1,378 Posts
Sounds like you need some Kryptons :fact

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It could be that the bulbs are going bad. I had the same thing happen to me in my car. They HID's would work intermittently and then eventually stopped working all together. How do you have them wired? Is there a relay? Do both of them come on with the bike? Try unplugging them, starting the bike, then plugging them in while the bike is running.

If it is the ballasts, DDM has a warranty, but they also have horrendous customer service. If it's the bulbs, I'm selling a set with less than 500 miles ont them, PM me if interested.
I'll definitely try this first, I know for a fact that DDM tuning has horrible customer service, I'm thinking about going with a completely different company all together. The 10k HIDS that I purchased look more like 8k. Regardless we will see what happens.

·
Worry About The Addiction
230 Posts
+1 on kryptonbulbs:toocool:

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'll definitely try this first, I know for a fact that DDM tuning has horrible customer service, I'm thinking about going with a completely different company all together. The 10k HIDS that I purchased look more like 8k. Regardless we will see what happens.

i personally had great luck with ddm, i just sent back a ballast and from shipping it back to me receiving a new one was 11 days...
and did you get the 35 or 55 watt? the higher the wattage the more the color reverts to a lower temp (i.e. 55w 8000k will look like a 35w 6000k)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
i personally had great luck with ddm, i just sent back a ballast and from shipping it back to me receiving a new one was 11 days...
and did you get the 35 or 55 watt? the higher the wattage the more the color reverts to a lower temp (i.e. 55w 8000k will look like a 35w 6000k)
They have plenty of ballasts but their delay is usually with bulbs. Took me a month to get a set of bulbs from there, not to mention $10 shipping on them?!?!? The products are of decent quality, just their customer service needs help.

The color temperature should not change based on the wattage put through them (assuming you're using correct bulbs rated for your application).

·
Registered
360 Posts
They have plenty of ballasts but their delay is usually with bulbs. Took me a month to get a set of bulbs from there, not to mention $10 shipping on them?!?!? The products are of decent quality, just their customer service needs help.

The color temperature should not change based on the wattage put through them (assuming you're using correct bulbs rated for your application).
thats just been my experience with them, i have 8000k 55w on 3 vehicles and they are similar to my buddies 600k 35w... and they charge $10 shipping? they just emailed me a shipping label to mail back old parts... guy on the phone made it sound like it was for bulbs or ballasts. that would suck

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
thats just been my experience with them, i have 8000k 55w on 3 vehicles and they are similar to my buddies 600k 35w... and they charge $10 shipping? they just emailed me a shipping label to mail back old parts... guy on the phone made it sound like it was for bulbs or ballasts. that would suck
I think your experience is unique with them. For new purchases, shipping for bulbs costs $10

·
Registered
360 Posts
I think your experience is unique with them. For new purchases, shipping for bulbs costs $10
well i wont bitch then kickass for me lol

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The quality that DDM brings to the table seems to be good, I mostly got them because it seems like they are used by many riders on this forum.. plus it was the 40 dollar deal that Agg posted so I couldn't pass up on that. I wasn't able to even look at my bike, I got off work pretty late and it got dark quick. Definitely will mess around with it tomorrow.

·
"Krypton"
1,086 Posts
+1 on the Kryptons :lmao

Seriously though, if they are going to dick you around for replacement parts shoot me a PM and I will make you a deal for what you want weather it be ballasts or bulbs. I'd be happy to help you out and get more of my products in customers hands. Ill ship them right out to you, no waiting, for a better price than I offer on my website... Unless you want a full kit, I cant really move on those.

Thanks
Josh

·
"Krypton"
1,086 Posts
Also, lets get further into troubleshooting your kit here.

Are both bulbs the problem? Is it just the low beam? If you swap the ballasts does the problem move to the other side?

If neither side is working its kinda hard to troubleshoot.

Sometimes it can be a weak battery or even a partially blown headlight fuse on the bike or in the kit if you have a relay kit.

If you pull the kit from your bike you can try to "hotwire" the kit and just touch positive to positve and neg to ned on your car battery and see if the HID ignites. (I recommend using some extra wire taped to the leads and touch the wires to the battery.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts