Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2001 R6. I have been having battery problems over the last few seasons. My bike is usually on a tender. After having it garaged for the winter I took it out for a few times. Bike fired right up and ran good. After leaving off the tender after a longer ride, I then took it out again. This time I was on my way home and my headlights and cluster started to fail 3 miles from home at 1am. High revs didnt do anything. I had to go dark for 2 miles of highway and after turning off the headlights the cluster came back on. I managed to turn them back on after that and made it home. I plugged my battery in and went and got a volt meter. Fully charged my bike is sitting at 13 volts not started. After starting and no headlights on it was hitting 15+ volts but after warm up it was around 13.4-5 resting. RPM increase was jumping from 14-16 volts. Now head lights turned on dropped the battery to 12.4 idle and RPM increase did not hardly raise the volts. I am figuring there is a bad ground or connection or something. My headlights did not have this issue when first installed 3 years ago. Anyone have any insights as to what could be wrong?

·
Got street appeal?
1,656 Posts
Bad ballast. But I would go into further diagnostics.

I don't know if you have access to an amp clamp. I'd check the current sitting off and see what parasitic draw is. Should be less than 1 amp.

I would then check amperage from stator and regulator rectifier output (again amp wise).

Stator check resistances across all 3 legs and AC voltage.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts