Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new to the forum,
I have a 2008 yamaha r6s and I was modifying leds that the previous owner had installed to replace them with my own. He had the leds tap into the stock headlight power supply. However nothing was labeled so figuring it out was the first headache. The toggle switch that this was all hooked up to has 3 prongs. Ground. Load. Power. I placed the newly wired leds to the power prong instead of the load. So then the headlights running brake light and cluster lights stopped working. I replaced the fuse (20a) thinking that was the problem. The leds work but the headlights dont. Ive searched everywhere and cant find a solution. Maybe its the relay. Maybe its a bad ground to the high low switch. Im not sure. Im hoping someone has had this issue and can share some solutions.
Any help is appreciated.
Im close to giving in and going to a shop.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had a similar problem but no leds. it ended up being a bad hid ballast. once i replaced that i stopped popping fuses and all is good now. try swapping ure ballasts around and see if that works. hope it helps.

·
Registered
97 Posts
cool man good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I swapped the ballasts and still nothing. I truly think im not recieving power to the headlights as I disconnected both hids and I still popped fuses only when starting the engine. All the other lights worked with a fresh fuse until starting the engine also. Im thinking I may have to trace the wiring back to the source.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated as well

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem, if you have any aftermarket lights disconnect them and see if it still pops fuses. My exact problem was the previous owner installed an LED bar for the plate light, and the wiring was scrunched between the aftermarket LED bar and the plate, and the wire shorted to the plate.

Keep it simple, disconnect anything aftermarket and go from there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I fixed it. I took the time out after work and re wired everything. I found 2 melted wires that had a + and - charge on each wire so the fuses would pop almost automatically. I appreciate all of the help. I have both lights working 100% and I'm confident that my wiring is better than what was there before.

Side note: I'm trading for an R1 pretty soon. I've been on the fence about the r6 or r1 for the longest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.