Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 r6 and have a few questions about my idle that maybe some of you can help me figure out. The bike has a jet kit and whenever the bike warms up around 180 plus degrees, my idle can't seem to stay below 3k rpm. I have to put it into first gear, then let out the clutch a bit to get it back to its normal 2k rpm. But then sometimes after if get it back down to normal rpm, it will go back up to 3k. I talked to a mechanic that works at yamaha and he said that it possibly could be that i have an air leak in my intake. So the bike is running lean. I also talked to the guy i bought it off of,( who races for yamaha) and he said it might have something to do with the jet kit. I just wanted to know if anyone has some input on how to go about this problem. Oh. It also has a full Akrapovic exhaust system, if that has something to do with the problem.

Thanks for your time.
phil

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
You're lean.

Either lean pilot jet, or you have an air leak. to eliminate air leak, spray some carb cleaner around your intake phlanges, if you get a change in idle either up or down from the spray, that will indicate where you're leak is. If no results from spray, your carb adjustments are off.

Your mechanic is right, and the previous owner is also correct both in some ways.

Also... if you rev the engine, does it climb up and then fall back down quickly to where it was idling at, or slowing fall back down?

You could also have carbs out of synch.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just took off the tank and now i see the huge air box. So does the air box lead straight into the carbs? I was wondering what phlanges to spray the carb cleaner on. Also, i would need a small bottle with fuel to keep the motor running right?

thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Ok, so first off, the slow falling is a sign of carbs or bodies out of sync.

Yes, you'll need a "pony tank" or auxillary tank. Motion Pro makes nice ones. You might be able to rig something up with meanwhile, but they are a really nice thing to have! $30

And you'll need vaccum gauge set. You can spend anywhere from $50 to $1000 depending on how elaborate you want. I use the $50 gauges from J.C. Whitney and haven't had a problem with them. You might need different vaccum adapters though.

Find a how to on carb sync, or get a manual and it will tell you step by step. If you haven't searched and found a spot to download a manual, you can do this and just print off the step by step for doing this job. It's not too hard of a job, but you need to understand the manual for the most part.

Do this first, then see how the bike runs and reacts. It will have better throttle response and idle smooth etc..

If you still get high idle, just try decreasing the idle adjustment. If it doesn't take care of it, you are still lean, and need to go over your adjustments.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just rode up in the hills and i can be very specific about the rpms now because i'm listening for it. I found out the bike does three different things. When its cold and below 130 degrees, it idles and revs perfect. when i rev it, the rpms drop fast and are steady at 1500 rpm. Then, when the bike gets a little warmer, when the temp is around 170, when i rev it above 4k rpm, it is a bit slow to go to 3k rpm. but once it hits 3k, it is very slow to get back to 1500 rpm. Once the bike is fully warm, it is a bit slow to fall down to 3k rpm, and once at 3k rpm, it doesn't want to go any lower.

thanks again.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
yeah, still sounds like a simple synch, with possibly a slight lean spot.

if problem still consists after synching the carbs, try turning out the mixture screws 1/8th turn and see if that cures it.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Just to make sure........this was all checked before and AFTER riding right? In neutral just revving to check.....correct? I'm sure you'd know it would take time for revs to fall when in gear and riding. Just making sure.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, When the bike is getting warmed up, i can hear a ticking sound coming from the engine. It kind of sounds like the valves. But after the bike is warm, the ticking stops. Would that be another symptom of the carbs out of sync?

thanks

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Nope, that would be valve clearance. What you're hearing is wider clearance when cold, compared to tighter clearance when warmed up.

If it's real bad, you'll need to do a clearance job. But, all R6's have noisy valvetrain.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok..thanks for all your helpp...HAHAHAHAHA..i fixed the problem..it was soo simple..HAHA..the idle was just high..Oh wow..i'm soo dumb..I guess i thought the idle was good because when it was warming up and close to warm, it idled fine. And for some reason everyone else i talked to, didn't say anything about a high idle..thanks for your help. :hammer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts