Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know you guys are crazy skilled well the most part of you's and then theres riders like me. i dont liek highway riding. at all. i hate knowing that if i go down im mostlikely going to get ran over by a car doing 70 haha and the whole sucktion from mac trucks and stuff like that. im one of those riders who will take backroads to the destination and take the extra 20 mins.
who else has the heebegeebies about highway riding or has the balls to be doin 120mph wheelies for 2 miles :lmao

·
I like bbq sauce on my R6
2,146 Posts
I hear ya, but it depends. I get annoyed sometimes at the side roads with lots of lights. Not to mention intersections.

·
R-Sex
422 Posts
i dont mind doing the highway thing because i like to think that i am a bit more aggressive driver/rider than most people out there. I'd definately rather be on a back road tearin corners up though. highways dont excite me too much, but i will take them when i need to "get" somewhere

·
Registered
167 Posts
Riding a motorcycle anywhere is a risk. You can be riding in the backroads and get slammed by someone going 70mph anyway. I wouldn't limit myself to one particular road and I hope your trepidation comes from not being ready (or being new), which is fine. Once you get a few miles under your belt... well, let's just say you will know when you are ready. No one else can tell you.

·
What about what?
6,755 Posts
I don't mind the freeway at all, however I would prefer the backroads for one simple reason, they do take the extra 20 minutes. More time I get to spend riding, and more corners to have fun with. Long straight shots on the freeway are simply boring.

·
What!?!
94 Posts
If I want to get to work I have to get on the freeway. It can be a little nerve racking some days but you learn to deal. I try to be a little bit more aggresive then the other drivers when its crowded, just a little though. As far as trucks, I get past them as quick as I can.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't mind the freeway at all, however I would prefer the backroads for one simple reason, they do take the extra 20 minutes. More time I get to spend riding, and more corners to have fun with. Long straight shots on the freeway are simply boring.

That's a good point.

·
R Sexiness
1,139 Posts
trucks=nerve racking :nocontrol got stuck behind an 18 wheeler the other day the wind behind them is ridiculous

·
I like ice cream!
1,350 Posts
Highways are all good if you've got to get somewhere. You'll get more confidence with time.

·
Slammed and Stretched!!!
772 Posts
I actually perfer highway driving when I have to be somewhere. In my area, most of the highway driving I do is 3 lane, and the trucks tend to stick to the far left.

·
Registered
853 Posts
i know you guys are crazy skilled well the most part of you's and then theres riders like me. i dont liek highway riding. at all. i hate knowing that if i go down im mostlikely going to get ran over by a car doing 70 haha and the whole sucktion from mac trucks and stuff like that. im one of those riders who will take backroads to the destination and take the extra 20 mins.
who else has the heebegeebies about highway riding or has the balls to be doin 120mph wheelies for 2 miles :lmao
Highway riding is very safe. There are no intersections or driveways, all traffic is traveling in the same direction, and there are several lanes to provide multiple escape routes. But that doesn't mean go 120 mph. Save that for the track, or at least an open rural road with no traffic.

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
Interstate riding is safer than backroads riding. On the highway everyone is going about the same speed in the same direction with controlled access points. Bikes don't just fall over for no reason either, so you're not as likely to get run over. On the back roads, people get on from anywhere, go wildly different speeds, and you have oncoming traffic crossing the centerline. You're more likely to drop it or have an accident on the backroad than the freeway.

That being said, if I have the time, I choose the back roads.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Commute to work - prefer I-95, 80-90 mph, everyone going the same direction. No crossroads, just have to know where the safest place to put yourself and your bike. There are certain exits that you want to be ALL the way to the left. Others where the middle lane is the safest. No biggie. These days, i have noticed that tractor trailers are staying to the right driving 65-70 mph most likely trying to save fuel.

Commute home - If I dont have to be home right away, ill take some backroads and enjoy the ride a bit more. But during the summer, its alot cooler (temperature) riding at 90 than it is sitting in stop and go surface street traffic.

gary

·
Registered
448 Posts
Are you worried that if you were to wreck someone would run over you?? If you are dont worrry about that. You will skid, slide, bounce and roll for a long way, unless you hit a stationary object. If you do hit said stationary object then you wont have to worry about getting ran over from behind. This gives most cagers plenty of time to slow down and gawke at you....so quit worrying and start riding them highways.....

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
Get on the highway - tuck when you get to the trucks, don't stay behind or next to them too long - be ready for the wind blast when you're passing the cab, don't try to pass too far on the left side of the left lane cause you might get a heavy wind blast which will push you even further. Don't be tense - just chill, enjoy the sound of your engine, the bugs greeting you on your visor, and the fact that everyone else on the highway is either behind you or soon to be behind you.

(j/k) just chill, it's not a big deal - worrying is an easy way to screw up just when you need to be in a calm frame of mind.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I like the back roads when I'm just riding for fun, and I take the freeway when I'm going to work. I use to worry about all that stuff and more but the answer is to just relax and do it. The key to getting over your fears is to realize, the question isn't "if" you fall but "when" you fall, and when you accept that fact you'll start to really love the ride.

·
What traffic?
68 Posts
I ride mine to work and that means I have to take the freeway...3 in fact. I was scared to start with, but you get used to it. My first week it seems I would have cramped and tired hands from my death grip on the handle bars. :nocontrol it's all good now, but no way would I go that fast with a wheelie.

No big trucks in the carpool lane. :toocool:

·
2B R <> 2B
3,703 Posts
I personally hate backroad because its never enough light and you can never tell what might cross in front of you... Highways are safer in my book

·
Registered
394 Posts
We did have a guy here in Delaware that went down and got ran over on the interstate. His front tire blew out and he high sided. The lady in the van behind him slammed on her brakes, but she ended up going over him anyways.

I ride on the highway. No issues...I will ride wherever, but I do also prefer the back roads.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts