Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
2008 Raven R6
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was in Rochester, NY at the Bar (Not drinking) just hanging out with some friends and decided to head home. I took the express way and was just about at my exit when a racoon shoots out from the median of the express way and starts running across the passing lane. I am in the right lane towards the middle of the road going about 70 mph...I decided to stay put and not try to dodge the little bastage as he will pry cut back or right into my bike and if im going anything but straight I might put it down. So staying in my line he runs right into my path and then apparently decides to outrun me and turns straight and runs along the expressway in the exact path of my bike. Well suffice it to say I hit him as given by the title of this thread and the fact that an R6 is much faster than a racoon. My handlebars shook pretty hard but I recovered got off my exit and stopped at the gas station right there. I looked at everything on my bike and there is no damage that I can see. There was a bunch of hair pinched between the tire and the rim but nothing else. Scary though, as it was 98 all day and I wasnt wearing any gear :dunce: I know I probably shouldnt say that on here, but it taught me a lesson and I think I will be wearing it all the time now.

Either way to the real point of this...Is there anything I should really be worried about with my bike? Or what should I check/have checked? I have been riding it to and from work still with no problems or noticeable lack of stability. I am just wondering what I should do before I am out riding hard and leaning and it cuts out from under me or something. Thanks in advance all and ride safe!

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
neh it's just another bump in the road. a very hairy, bloody one. :hehe just give ur bike a nice, quick shave and ur good to go.

·
2008 Raven R6
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Geeze, no "glad to see your not a bloody patch in 490 Matr|x." Just poor racoon eh? LOL. Well glad to hear there is nothing to worry about, he was a big sucker...thanks for the info everyone. I feel better...the racoon may not.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
i was always taught to slow down (emergency stop) better to hit it doing 5mph than 70

edit glad you faired better than the racoon

·
2008 Raven R6
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was much faster than described...I only had a few secs. to react. Slamming the breaks wouldnt have done anything but put me at 60mph and had me much more forward on the handlebars. But yeah I would have done that for sure...wouldnt have lost my skin if I fell at 5mph

·
2003 R6
691 Posts
I hit a possum at 100 a few weeks ago. I made it enough to just run over his tail and barely clip the back of him. Talk about some scary shit.

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
wow, i've never hit any animals thats crazy, i live i the sticks too.

at least the **** took the hit instaed of you trying to advoid it and going down.

·
Ur mom doesnt fit on back
247 Posts
fact that an R6 is much faster than a racoon
lmao

i know it isnt not as hair raising as on a bike but one time a nailed a deer with one of Uconns 35ft buses. its one of the flat front ones so it happened like 1 ft in front of my face. scared the bajesus outta me

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
:lmao:lmao:lmao

Good to hear you're ok dude:D

·
2008 Raven R6
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yeah, it was def scary hitting that sucker, probably not comparable to the deer massacre you must have had on the front of that bus Soler, lol. Glad to hear CMP didnt go down either when you hit the possum. Little buggers should stay out of our way... and no I didnt call 911 after Zantos...although I suppose the woodchuck paramedics might have been able to save him!

·
R Sexiness
1,139 Posts
Yeah, it was def scary hitting that sucker, probably not comparable to the deer massacre you must have had on the front of that bus Soler, lol. Glad to hear CMP didnt go down either when you hit the possum. Little buggers should stay out of our way... and no I didnt call 911 after Zantos...although I suppose the woodchuck paramedics might have been able to save him!
glad to hear your alright but u should be expecting the badger police at your door step any day now for the hit and run

·
Moderatore Eccellente!
8,633 Posts
Good to hear it turned out ok. I know a guy that took out a squirrel..... I'm just saying.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts