Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, I just got in from riding my R6 i just picked up today...I scared the SH*t out of myself...its my first bike and my first ride did not go all that great.....Instead of feathering just the clutch to get going i ended up giving it some gas like i do with my car.........BAD IDEA...my ass went flying...i poped a wheelie and about shit myself...i think my parents had a mild heart attack...i love the bike and want to ride it but i am pretty scared right now...and i know all of you are going to tell me i should not have got this for my first bike....but i did...anyways do you guys have any advice to help me over come that aniamal, i mean i had respect for the bike before i got on it, but now i feel like it made me its bitch...lol...im going to take the msf course, ASAP...

·
Registered
101 Posts
congrats on your first wheelie man!! hehe anyway, get out there and ride. thats the only way your going to overcome your fear. take it easy, ride around on roads that dont have to much traffic and learn ur bike. thats pretty much the only advice i can give other than take the MSF course. good luck!

·
Registered
416 Posts
the difference btween ur cars cluth and ur bikes is that ur bikes clutch is wet and ur cars clutch is dry ... now if u wanna test this - get on the bike (on a flat suface w/ no traffic) and put it in 1st .. release the clutch ever so slowly with no gas at all .. u will slide into 1st with out any probs .. this will give u some idea of how much gas to give it when u take off in 1st ..

:cheers

Oh yeah get a crash cage and/or frame sliders along with clutch sliders

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ouch bud, you dropped it? Sorry man...But hey, dont worry, the R6 was my first bike too it just takes time to learn the ins and outs of your baby so all you can do is ride it a whole hell of a lot...Which is definitely not a bad thing...Any major damage to the bike?

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
congrats on your purchase. as for dropping it, eventually everyone does it, sooner or later. i bet you will never be as nervous before.

·
Yamaland
2,309 Posts
Congrats man.

The best way to learn is just practice practice practice. I highly recommend going to a big open parking lot, and just practice starting from a stop. Do turns from a start, like you will at intersections, and just get a good feel for the clutch. When I took my bike home, I went to the parking lot of our community college, and literally for about 30 minutes, I just practiced starting from a stop, feathuring the clutch, easing the accellerator, and just getting a good feel for the bike. The more you ride, the better you will get. And obviously as you know, the bike has more than enough power, so just take your time, learn at your own pace, and eventually you will get faster and more comfortable.

Good luck, and get frame sliders. :cheers

·
Registered
51 Posts
man im sry bro on the drop, take msf! its really helpful, but dont stop riding, there are people that talk about the game, and people who play the game, i hope u continue playing it bro.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i droped it from a stand still...but not hard i was fighting with it...lol so it went down slowly...its gonna rain where i am tomorrow so during the week im planning on taking it to a parking lot with my pops...him and my uncle have been riding it all night...just laughing at me...i need some confidence.!!!

Thanks for all the support guys...i appreciate it..!

·
Registered
728 Posts
stoneloco808 said:
congrats on your purchase. as for dropping it, eventually everyone does it, sooner or later. i bet you will never be as nervous before.
Very true. As for being scared, all you have to do is get back on the bike. There were a few times when my 6 got me jumping, but the only solution I found from being scared is to just get back on and learn from your mistakes. You control the bike, don't let the bike control you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Super sport bikes are built for racing. Race bikes are very responsive. The bike does exactly what you tell it to do, immediately. You just have to learn it's language. Go slow and learn basic communication, go, stop, left, etc. A couple minor pointers. Do 75% of your braking with the front brake and do not apply the (front) brakes with the bars turned during slow manuvers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah speed, i think thats how i ended up droping it...i was slowing down and turning on to my street...I stoped and had the front break held with the wheel turned to the right...i put my foot down but my leg gave out on me and i kinda just guided it down....it was like slow motion...."nnnnnoooooooooooooooooo"...lol

·
Registered
492 Posts
Roll down a driveway or incline of some type then you can just let the clutch out and you and you dont have to worry about it jumping, you will just keep rolling at the same pace. That helped me out when I was learning the clutch on my first dirt bike.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Congrats on your purchase!!, I agree with everyone here about taking the MSF course. They teach you how to get a feal for your clutch, remember "Before you can run, you need to learn how to crawl" so take it slow at first.
:cheers

·
Registered
167 Posts
LOL shit like that is bound to happen.... Hell today I took the R6 over to a buddy of mine to go over the motor since it's gonna be my track bike, well considering I have an R1 the power of the R6 doesn't scare, which is REALLY REALLY stupid on my part. Well as I merged on to the off ramp I was changing gears and revved it alittle while I was clutching and what do ya know, there goes the nose.... I was like where you going baby, we're just going home to have some beers... :cheers

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
maybe im bass ackwards from everybody else, but i couldnt get a grip on driving my car's clutch, but for some reason on a bike it all just "clicked". the only time i ever dropped my bike was at a near stand still, slow mo thing just like you. just make sure you dont quit, pick that bike up and show it who's really the bitch! (it'll still be you, but youll feel better!)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! Don't worry, I did the same thing the first time out on my R6... minus the wheely! Everyone else is totally right. go out and get a feel for the clutch. I've only been riding for 6 months, but with the msf course and lots of counseling from other good riders, I can easily keep up with my husband on his busa, and stay safe.
There are 2 kinds of riders: those who have gone down and those who will go down. Good luck!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I brought mine home on a trailer because I had never ridden before and decided to ride it in the drive way to park it. I gave it a little too much gas, pulled the clutch when I meant to pull the brake, let go of the clutch and shot forward onto the lawn I laid it down rather than run it straight into the picnic bench. All less than 5 minutes after getting it home.

Next day I took it out and went all the way up a hill by my house 20ft at a time learning to start moving without giving too much gas or stalling. Then I headed to a parking lot and practiced tight slow turns around and in the parking stalls.

Keep riding and good luck!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I also posted this in another beginner's thread:

There's a little booklet underneath the passenger seat on your bike called "You and Your Motorcycle: Riding Tips Motorcycle Skill Test Practice Guide". I suggest you read it. And forget about a "practice test/cheat sheet", LEARN the material, don't just memorize what is needed to pass the written test. You will be much better off if you actually UNDERSTAND how your motorcycle operates and how to safely ride in traffic. Also, I suggest picking up a book called "Total Control" at your local bookstore (they can order it if it's not in stock). Total Control will help you understand riding even better than the book that came with the bike. However, I suggest starting with the Riding Tips booklet.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts