Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of some help. I have a nitrous kit for my 99 R6 and cant figure out where to put the button. I have heard of people hooking it into the horn switch. Does anyone have any information on how to and or pics? thanks

Dan

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'm not sure about the horn switch, i would think you would disconect it and use the hookups on the back of it, and wire in the no2. But i'm pretty sure, depends on the size of the switch, there is a spot under the kill switch, on the right clip on, you could put a switch in there.

·
Vendor
7,805 Posts
IICEman said:
I am in need of some help. I have a nitrous kit for my 99 R6 and cant figure out where to put the button. I have heard of people hooking it into the horn switch. Does anyone have any information on how to and or pics? thanks

Dan
Putting it on the horn button is the best way we've found to mount it....

Get yourself another switch and route it so when you toggle the switch one way your horn works and the other it's nitrous.... That's the way we do it on all our nitrous bikes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SpidermanSS do you happen to have any wiring diagrams or pictures on how you wired a toggle into the switch so you could use it for both?

Thank you both for your replies.

Dan

·
Vendor
7,805 Posts
IICEman said:
SpidermanSS do you happen to have any wiring diagrams or pictures on how you wired a toggle into the switch so you could use it for both?

Thank you both for your replies.

Dan
I can see if the guys in our shop can draw one up... The horn is a two wire switch.. positive and negative wires... radio shack should have an acceptable toggle switch that you can route things through... basically you put all of the horn functions to one side of the switch by routing the positive or neg of the horn to that side and all of the nitrous to the other side via the same method...

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Another thing you could do is find left controls from a euro bike, or a suzuki and utilize the passing switch. This particular switch is a finger pull design and would be on teh front side of the controls........if ya know what i mean.

I think i would do it this way, just to have something different, but it would take more electrical knowledge etc.. But if you have a good multimeter testing and finding the correct wires to hook up wouldnt be all that bad.

·
Registered
202 Posts
What do you need a horn on a nitrous bike anyway? I could see bumping the swith in nitrous and sitting at a light giving some hotties a little hornage and next thing you know.......lol. Just a thought :jester

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SpidermanSS, thanks for the info I;m going to go with the switch set up like you said. seems to be the best idea and it will still pass inspection.

thanks guys for all the help.

Looks like I;m going to have to wait til the spring to try it out though. just snowed tonight for the first time. just in case I get the chance though, I was just wondering when people hit their nitrous button? I dont want to go over backwards first time I hit it, only going with a 20hp shot at first.

Dan

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I was just wondering when people hit their nitrous button? I dont want to go over backwards first time I hit it,
You hit it when you need it the most, usually late in the race when you're well into your speed range. Also you would be better off hitting it late in the torque curve so you have less chance of bringing the front end up.

·
Vendor
7,805 Posts
TexasR6 said:
I was just wondering when people hit their nitrous button? I dont want to go over backwards first time I hit it,
You hit it when you need it the most, usually late in the race when you're well into your speed range. Also you would be better off hitting it late in the torque curve so you have less chance of bringing the front end up.
a 20 shot is pretty safe.. It depends on what your doing with it.... If your drag racing and have good skills you can come into the nitrous once your clutch is fully released. If you are highway running judge what you are racing as a basis to how much you need.... for instance a 600 with a 20 shot won't concure a descent liter bike unless you pounce him off the start so a lil "Early" NOS might be needed for the win but if you into a gixxer 750 you would come into it a little later... I'd suggest using a front end "strap" to lower the front a tad until you get used to it all...

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
SpiderMan and anyone else with the horn/Nitrous setup:

Without seeing the horn/nitrous button combo work, how do you prevent someone from hitting the nitrous portion of the button instead of the horn?

I forsee this being a problem when you need to get someone attention by hitting your horn and instead of the horn going off you launch your bike with a nitrous shot.

·
Vendor
7,805 Posts
drhodes said:

Without seeing the horn/nitrous button combo work, how do you prevent someone from hitting the nitrous portion of the button instead of the horn?

I forsee this being a problem when you need to get someone attention by hitting your horn and instead of the horn going off you launch your bike with a nitrous shot.
When it's one way the HORN works and will sound.. The other way nitrous.. If you aren't planning on using the nitrous just keep your bottle valve closed and it will just "click" the solenoid and since there is no "juice" in the line nothing will happen..

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
SpidermanSS said:
drhodes said:

When it's one way the HORN works and will sound.. The other way nitrous.. If you aren't planning on using the nitrous just keep your bottle valve closed and it will just "click" the solenoid and since there is no "juice" in the line nothing will happen..
mmm I think that I understand... pictures would be key... I'm all about visual learning :mrgreen: The bottle valve does sounds like that key, better to not have it go off then do go off and you end up going through a house, and 2 fences..... like this kid and his WRX - found on a board somewhere... the R1 site? another R6 site? I cant remember.

·
Vendor
7,805 Posts

Pictured above is the valve I was reffering to... You have to twist the bottle valve or cap to the open position to get anything out of it... Alot of times with cars since space isn't a problem you will find or see automatic bottle openers in them....

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
drhodes said:
mmm I think that I understand... pictures would be key... I'm all about visual learning :mrgreen: The bottle valve does sounds like that key, better to not have it go off then do go off and you end up going through a house, and 2 fences..... like this kid and his WRX - found on a board somewhere... the R1 site? another R6 site? I cant remember.
it was linked on our sister site

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
penfold said:
drhodes said:
i seen it. it was friggin hilarious!!!!!!!

·
Registered
586 Posts
drhodes said:
SpidermanSS said:
drhodes said:

IF I'm understanding this setup right, the horn button action itself doesn't change. the difference is what the button activates. either the horn or the no2; depending on which way the toggle switch is set. Does that help? Or am I even understanding it right?

·
Vendor
7,805 Posts
r6boater said:
drhodes said:
SpidermanSS said:
drhodes said:

IF I'm understanding this setup right, the horn button action itself doesn't change. the difference is what the button activates. either the horn or the no2; depending on which way the toggle switch is set. Does that help? Or am I even understanding it right?
That's it... The setup cuts off the horn and diverts the nitrous activation when it's switched one way and vise versa the horn works when it's the other...

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
SpidermanSS said:
r6boater said:
drhodes said:
SpidermanSS said:
drhodes said:

That's it... The setup cuts off the horn and diverts the nitrous activation when it's switched one way and vise versa the horn works when it's the other...
Ok, so there is a 2nd switch that comes into play... That's what I was thinking, but it also sounded like you could push the horn button one way = horn the other = nitrous...

Toggle to the XX = horn
Toggle to the YY = Notirous
Horn button then would equal XX or YY

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
stoneloco808 said:
penfold said:
drhodes said:
i seen it. it was friggin hilarious!!!!!!!
Yeah, i couldn't remeber where I'd seen it.. I was on about 5 or 6 forums that day alone.... :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts