Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I can't wheelie :(
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo, the horn actually stopped working en route to my license test. I'm not too sure on the wiring and such and would much prefer if somebody could point me in the right direction as to what I should be looking for...much thanks in advance!!

·
Stunt Rider
7,955 Posts
Check the connection at the lower triple tree.

Ridick - Skeet Skeet Skeet!!!!

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not really sure where that is..?

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
525 Posts
I just bought a bike and the horn didn't work. It was easy to fix. (I'm writing this for a 2006. If you have a different year, things may be very slightly different.)

There are essentially 4 parts to the horn circuit:
- The battery
- The horn itself
- The horn switch
- The wiring that connects these pieces

You can safely assume that the battery isn't the problem. If it isn't working enough to power a horn, you'll have lots of other problems that are more apparent.

The easiest thing to check first is the horn unit. It's located up above the front fender, and it looks like a round metal disk with 2 wires plugged onto it. Pull the 2 wires off and hook them up to a multimeter set to test 12 volts. Turn the key to the on position. It should read 0 volts. When you press and hold the horn button, your multimeter should read 12 volts. If it does, it's safe to assume the horn unit is the problem and needs to be replaced. You can confirm this by connecting 12 volts directly to the horn unit using some wire and any 12 volt battery. If you connect everything and the horn doesn't make a sound, its not working.

The next step would be to test the horn switch. You'll need to connect your multimeter up to the horn switch and set it to test for continuity. The horn switch has a few sets of wires coming off it, I believe it's one of the pairs, but you'll have to identify which are used for the horn. If you get to this point and can't figure it out, let me know. Hook the 2 horn wires up to your multimeter. When you press and hold the horn switch your multimeter should beep and light up to show you there is a continuous connection through the switch. If not, the switch isn't working and needs to be replaced.

If you still haven't found the problem, there is a break in the wiring somewhere. Good luck finding it, you're in for some fun....

When I did this I got lucky and the actual horn unit was the problem. You can easily buy a generic horn for any auto parts supplier for about $10-20.

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@spray THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Going to start pulling fender tomorrow morning!!

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
525 Posts
@spray THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Going to start pulling fender tomorrow morning!!
No problem. You might not even have to take any plastics off to get at the horn, but I'm not sure. I just noticed you have the S model. Diagram says it's in roughly the same location, above the front wheel. #20.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2008/R6S+-+YZFR6XCS/ELECTRICAL+2/parts.html

If I had to put money on it, I would guess the actual horn is gone. Hopefully I'm right, because that's the easiest and cheapest fix.

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Raven...only problem is failed on the way to my class M test and she was all upset because my horn didn't work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.