Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wreck this past weekend at MSRHouston.
Been crashing a lot lately, and this one i had no idea wtf happened, front just washed out.
Was feeling good and riding smooth until this point..

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
1) that track is horrible..

2) Just before your front washed, you were carrying a LOT of lean angle on a bumpy-ass track, and you let off the gas ever-so-slightly, thus overloading the front tire. Smooooooooth on the throttle is the way to go (and get off that shitty-ass track).

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

2) Just before your front washed, you were carrying a LOT of lean angle on a bumpy-ass track, and you let off the gas ever-so-slightly, thus overloading the front tire. Smooooooooth on the throttle is the way to go (and get off that shitty-ass track).
lol thats one of the better one in texas too haha

yea the angle looks crazy, look at the angle on the straight tho, my camera is mounted badly angled. i was not even dragging knee so i had plenty more to go.

the general consensus was that that little breath of throttle mixed with a low front tire pressure caused the wreck.

im just saying i was nowhere near max lean angle when it happen, and that breath of throttle may have been me reacting to the front pushing., sucks either way, but almost no damage to the bike, although i ground thru one of my gloves.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Wow. And I thought Loudon was a rough track. I'm gonna have to agree with the lean angle comment from above. Just a bit too much for the front tire to handle.

edit: NVM the lean comment, then.

·
Y(o_o)Y
1,365 Posts
I have to agree. It might have been the fact that you were not on the gas which may have exceeded the traction of your front tire...very similar thing happened to me and the instructor I was riding with basically said I needed to be on the gas a bit earlier in the future

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts

+1 I don't think it was the throttle change. It looked like he was leaning too too far, then went for a mid turn correction for even MORE lean angle.

lol thats one of the better one in texas too haha

yea the angle looks crazy, look at the angle on the straight tho, my camera is mounted badly angled. i was not even dragging knee so i had plenty more to go.

the general consensus was that that little breath of throttle mixed with a low front tire pressure caused the wreck.

im just saying i was nowhere near max lean angle when it happen, and that breath of throttle may have been me reacting to the front pushing., sucks either way, but almost no damage to the bike, although i ground thru one of my gloves.
Address your body position. When you crashed you hadn't carried anywhere near that much lean angle throughout the whole rest of the video leading up to it.

With that much lean angle and NOT dragging knee you're either crossed up or not off the bike at all. I'd be dragging my whole shin practically in that turn at that lean...

Were you wearing your own gear this time tho? :poke: :cheers

·
Premium Member
30,470 Posts

that's the most fun track we've got around here. :) but that's running it backwards. i hear it's terrible-er that way. :laugh

·
Premium Member
35,477 Posts

That's my favorite track :laugh

·
iRun
33,319 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,477 Posts
Wow. I guess that's the penalty for year-round track days... bumpy-ass tracks. :laugh
There's a funny story when all of us Texas people went to Barber where it's smoother than a Kangaroo baby's ass and the locals were complaining about a bump in one turn and all of us were like "......what bump?" :lmao

·
Registered
507 Posts
With that much lean angle and NOT dragging knee you're either crossed up or not off the bike at all. I'd be dragging my whole shin practically in that turn at that lean...
Here's one of Southern Ontario's teenager greats... Aubrey Bailey. The picture was posted by our track photographer Karolina Pelc.

Makes you wonder why motorcycles needs seats? lol

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's one of Southern Ontario's teenager greats... Aubrey Bailey. The picture was posted by our track photographer Karolina Pelc.

Makes you wonder why motorcycles needs seats? lol
i dont think you can use a Canadian example.

anyway, im still not agreeing with you guys. i dont think i was crossed up at all, and i dont think my lean was maxed out, my camera is mounted whack, look at it during the straight. that lean angle was magnified by the cam angle.

and with good suspension setup the bumpy shit aint all that bad, and i hope to be that much faster on a smooth track (hope to see one someday)

·
candy red
7,505 Posts
i dont think you can use a Canadian example.

anyway, im still not agreeing with you guys. i dont think i was crossed up at all, and i dont think my lean was maxed out, my camera is mounted whack, look at it during the straight. that lean angle was magnified by the cam angle.

and with good suspension setup the bumpy shit aint all that bad, and i hope to be that much faster on a smooth track (hope to see one someday)
People are giving you their opinions like you asked for and your just shooting them down. Wtf?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Fine... maybe you weren't crossed up.

But likely you weren't off the bike enough since you claim to have run out of tire/maxed your lean angle. You always feel like you're way off than you actually are.

Unless you have pics proving otherwise... I would put my money on that.

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
My vote is still with the fact that that track is the suck, and you let off the throttle mid-turn.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
People are giving you their opinions like you asked for and your just shooting them down. Wtf?
... pls keep the opinions coming, thats why i posted the vid, nothing wrong with me not agreeing with some of them..

i do agree, there is a lotta bumps there, and stock suspension at those speeds/lean isnt a good mix..

i dont understand the comment "But likely you weren't off the bike enough since you claim to have run out of tire/maxed your lean angle. "

because i clearly said i was not out of lean angle... im fairly confident my bp had nothing to do with it. (im so arrogant i think i look like rossi)

The vid is more for entertainment and so you can see what not to do anyways..

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My vote is still with the fact that that track is the suck, and you let off the throttle mid-turn.
this is kinda what im thinking.
i also listened to someone real fast running same tires/ and dropped my tire pressures that day.
Running 20psi rear 25 in the front, and i really think that contributed to it, shoulda left it at 30-31 front.

tires were a gpa slick in the rear and a gpa kr449 in the front, brand new front and 2 TD on the rear

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
Hard to tell from the video, but it looked and sounded to me like many of your handle bar and control inputs were fairly abrupt. Also saw front fork movement that was maybe suspect. With that in mind, I'd think you had poor traction, not-optimal fork set-up, then added a bunch of handle bar input at an inappropriate time.

My 2 cents. Back down the speed a little is my suggestion. Figure out what when wrong, then work back up to pace.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts