Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have an 99 R6 on Dunlop Qualifier RR tires. I recently did a track days at donington park in the inermediate fast group. I know i ride close to the limit/my limit, the tires get heavily blistered all the way to the edge with about 1 mill at the most left on the edge. i havent yet scraped my pegs but can happily get my knee down on most corners. i know i can get faster on some corners by braking a little later and going through some of the coreners a little faster. So my question is, can anyone give my some advice on how to get more from my bike? EG, suspension (is setup how i bought it), and anything else you can think of?

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
next time your at the track see if there’s someone who can properly dial in your suspension. i havent done it yet but i will be doing it soon.

if its acceleration you are looking for or you feel the bike doesnt have enough....... there a many mods you could look into doing, or bigger bikes to consider.

and if your the problem and you are trying to move from intermediate to advanced....... you just have to get out there keep learning and push yourself as far as you can every time with out going beyond your ability.

GOODLUCK!!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your responce. I think suspension settings would work a treat, but i'm not really sure what i am supposed to feel back from the suspension while on track mabye the front want to be a little harder as it dives slightly.

your right by saying about acceleration i think i could do with a bit more for the streights, but i can pass people on r1's gisxr1000 etc in the corners but if they get good drive out of a corner thats is.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
You should get your suspention set up. And take the Conerspeed racing school at VIR. You will learn a lot. Getting a larger bike is absolutely not the answer.

If you were getting the max out of your tires they would be feathered well over the edge. Exp. Qualifers on the track.

·
New Yorker
2,736 Posts
suspension should dive in (compress) then bottom out slowly (rebound) but sits in, not pogo on you-that is a good suspension set up. it should feel stable on turns and not bounce around. suspension is very tricky, you can never get it right since there are many factors, i.e braking and throttle application. even if you have a good set up, but don't know how-to apply throttle, it wont feel right. good throttle application is the key.

·
My R6 eats Chuck Norris
2,407 Posts
Agreed... suspension makes all the difference... if you're passing people on bigger bikes, its obviously ability, not power. when you max your ability on that bike.. get a job racing... they'll get you more power.

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
jc r6; said:
You should get your suspention set up. And take the Conerspeed racing school at VIR. You will learn a lot. Getting a larger bike is absolutely not the answer.

If you were getting the max out of your tires they would be feathered well over the edge. Exp. Qualifers on the track.
That would be expensive... He's in the UK, Jay...

Keith Code has a Superbike School in the UK. Might be worth checking it out, oliccm.

·
wat?
722 Posts
Exit speed. Work on getting on the gas earlier and harder until you feel it progressively start to spinup and work from there. You can carry the same corner speed as faster guys but unless you are rolling on the throttle at the same rate from apex to exit, you are going to get smoked.

·
I do it for the Chicks.
296 Posts
Definitely get your suspension dialed in. I didnt really know what to ask for when I talked to my shop, but they just asked a bunch of questions and got it dialed in. It runs a hell of alot better now. And if your looking to get a cheap boost in performance, try doing a -1 front sprocket, they only run like $20

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
since your on the tracks...learn to tighten up your line, you can shave a few seconds off that way

·
Registered
22 Posts
yeah i ride a 02 R6 at California Speedway and the only way i can make up time is going super late on the brakes....once your suspension is dialed your front should feel really stable on braking and you can brake about 1 marker before the next guy....this has really helped me tremendously

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advice, i think i will get my suspension setup and maybe get some track time with an instructor. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts