Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to lower my 04 R6, or at least I really want to. I want to try to get a better footing. I am only 5'4". I have already shaved my seat and put memory foam in place, and I also have on big boots. What else can I do to reach the ground better, without effecting too much of bike ground clearance/steering ability?

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Sammiches
1,435 Posts
Unless you drop it all the time while stopped, don't lower it. Set it up to be ridden, not to be sat on.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
you cant. :secret You might be able to find an air ride setup for the rear shock.
Lowering it will change the handling...and not for the better unless you like to dragrace.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dang. I mean I can tip toe it right now, but its definitely not stable. Have to get off the bike to back it up any time. Guess I'll deal with it and get used to it. Maybe I can shave more of the seat, to make it more plush, to get down lower. I don't know. All I know is, I wish I wasn't so short, just 2 more inches and I would be all good.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
My bike was lowered when I bought it and I've been told the same thing. I'm 5'5". I'm going to being it back to stock and am a bit worried since right now I can flat foot it and have gotten used to it that way!

·
New Rider
38 Posts
Regardless of what haters say, you need to put your bike to where you feel comfortable. I am 5 7 and I will be lowering my bike because I don't like to stand on my tip toes at stop lights. Unless you are track riding your bike lowering it will not kill it. I know I will get flamed for saying this stuff, but when people get on here and say that the bike is that height for a reason....for cornering, blah blah blah......yeah...on a track. Unless you ride to work dragging knees on just about every corner, I think you are pretty safe to lower it. If it was a safety concern then they wouldn't have a lowering bar for those of us that are vertically impaired.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Regardless of what haters say, you need to put your bike to where you feel comfortable. I am 5 7 and I will be lowering my bike because I don't like to stand on my tip toes at stop lights. Unless you are track riding your bike lowering it will not kill it. I know I will get flamed for saying this stuff, but when people get on here and say that the bike is that height for a reason....for cornering, blah blah blah......yeah...on a track. Unless you ride to work dragging knees on just about every corner, I think you are pretty safe to lower it. If it was a safety concern then they would have a lowering bar for those of us that are vertically impaired.
+1. I lower All my bikes including this r6. I live in Ventura/Ojai and have plenty of mountain roads (https://www.google.com/maps/place/O...2!3m1!1s0x80e9b81e5ed5987b:0x64412f3799be255f ) 33 Maricopa Hwy and do just fine. It is all on how you ride and especially if the bike is new to you, you will learn or know your limit.

·
My zx6r eats tires.
553 Posts
Just recently obtained my current bike, which has been lowered 2". Being 5'11" and knowing what a 3rd gen r6 at stock height feels like (previous bike), I can certainly tell a big difference both in height and handling, which is worse, regardless as to how I set the suspension up. Will be raising back up asap. Lower the bike if it makes you comfortable, but don't plan on tracking it that way. And most certainly have a shop set up the suspension properly if you plan on any spirited curve cutting...

·
Registered
26 Posts
hey David..im 5'0 and was literally tip toeing until I lowered my back end 1 Inch. They raised the forks in the front to level it out but its been working great..Some riders say they notice it fighting when going hard in high speed turns but I havent noticed any handling issues unless im going slow and turning like in parking lots or something haha. But I bought the adjustable PSR lowering link and kick stand and now that im more comfortable on the bike i'll probably go back to stock. But I really didnt notice a difference in handling. Now im sure the more you lower it the more issue you will have since the bike wasnt meant to be motified that way but you gotta do what makes you feel comfortable on the machine for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts