Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, my first post here and seeking some advice on what to do and if I can do it myself.
My brother has sold me his R6 2005 that’s been in storage for about 5 years. I don’t really want to get a mechanic to overcharge me for bringing it back to life if I can do it myself, there’s no rush in getting it running as we are in winter in Australia.
I’ve been looking around to see what steps are needed in order to bring it back to life. Previous to it been stored the bike ran a beauty and we never had problems with it.
can I just get a new battery and place it or should I be emptying the tank, pulling out the carburettor, cleaning it up and not sure what else is needed to be honest...
Can someone please tell me in simple steps what should I be doing and in what order.
I don’t want to go and start doing the work that I think is good to miss something and then stuff it up.
Thanks in advance for any help on this.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Not to discourage new posts, but there should be plenty of other storage threads here.

Search the forum for tank rust. There are also R6 videos on Videos(dot)Bing(dot)Com that detail how to get the pump out.
Change all the fluids.
While at it, check spark plug gaps and return to spec.
Tires should be evaluated and replaced if suspect.
Leak-down test your brakes by strapping the lever down.
Lube your brake, clutch cables, and chain. Inspect the chain and replace if kinked. Check chain slack and cog tooth wear.
Holding the accelerator to max** before beginning, and during the crank, turns off the fuel injectors. This will allow you to prime the engine with oil before starting.

** If the cables are out of adjustment and TPS is not reading max properly, the engine will start and redline faster than you can blink. This can be checked in diagnostic mode beforehand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate your help and advice. Just finding my way around these posts so will keep an eye out more careful next time before posting.
Will let you know how I go and thanks again.

·
Fat + S = Fast
1,382 Posts
1: Fashion an altar from three frames, one a Honda, one a Kawasaki, one a Suzuki.
2: Upon the ground, draw a circle that encloses the altar.
3: Place a lit candle on each frame.
4: Kneel before the altar and chant, "HA... MA... YA..."
5: Sacrifice a goat, lamb, cow, young virgin girl, or other such small delicious animal
6: Anoint altar with the blood of the sacrifice
7: Press the starter button

And lo, with a flash of lightning, peal of thunder, and roar of exhaust, your bike shall live AGAIN!

Or, you know, just do what Intuit said, that'd probably be easier.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1: Fashion an altar from three frames, one a Honda, one a Kawasaki, one a Suzuki.
2: Upon the ground, draw a circle that encloses the altar.
3: Place a lit candle on each frame.
4: Kneel before the altar and chant, "HA... MA... YA..."
5: Sacrifice a goat, lamb, cow, young virgin girl, or other such small delicious animal
6: Anoint altar with the blood of the sacrifice
7: Press the starter button

And lo, with a flash of lightning, peal of thunder, and roar of exhaust, your bike shall live AGAIN!

Or, you know, just do what Intuit said, that'd probably be easier.
Hahahahaha that was the best advice and probably the easiest to follow ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I just did this with my 07 R6S that was in storage for almost 8 yrs (not the chant though). 10k miles, it had been wrecked and was on stands the whole time, drained of gas/oil. Changed coolant and cleaned the reservoir, filled with oil, new filter. Tank wasn't rusty, got the remaining gas out of the lines (a few ounces). Filled with new gas, discovered fuel pump was bad. Got a new pump, fired right up ran perfect, I didn't need new injectors even though I got some used ones with the pump. Then discovered rear brake didn't work, fluid had crystallized in the master cylinder even though it looked good. A vacuum bleeder sucked it out, put new brake fluid (and pads) front/rear. Cleaned/lubed the chain and it rides great, after I fixed my damage of course.

All in all pretty happy with how it went and I'm loving having my bike again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I just did this with my 07 R6S that was in storage for almost 8 yrs (not the chant though). 10k miles, it had been wrecked and was on stands the whole time, drained of gas/oil. Changed coolant and cleaned the reservoir, filled with oil, new filter. Tank wasn't rusty, got the remaining gas out of the lines (a few ounces). Filled with new gas, discovered fuel pump was bad. Got a new pump, fired right up ran perfect, I didn't need new injectors even though I got some used ones with the pump. Then discovered rear brake didn't work, fluid had crystallized in the master cylinder even though it looked good. A vacuum bleeder sucked it out, put new brake fluid (and pads) front/rear. Cleaned/lubed the chain and it rides great, after I fixed my damage of course.

All in all pretty happy with how it went and I'm loving having my bike again.
that is awesome that you got it back running, I think after hearing that you have done it, it gives me hope that mine just be ok.
I think the main issue will be the fuel pump once I start doing all the work.
I will start working on it this weekend and keep everyone updated.
thanks again for the instructions.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Five years isn't very long for an engine or a fuel injection system. It is a long time for tires, brake fluid, and engine oil, though. Plan on replacing the tires, even if they look nice, as soon as you get it running.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
549 Posts
Coolant flush as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts