Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Slow is smooth
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to know if there is anyone out there that can quite possibly help me with begining a race career or something. I need to know where to look and how to begin racing. I have hardly any money so that's why I would need a sponser. If anyone can give me any info please do. Thanks!

·
Slow is smooth
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: How do I find a sponser?

I just want to know if there is anyone out there that can quite possibly help me with begining a race career or something. I need to know where to look and how to begin racing. I have hardly any money so that's why I would need a sponser. If anyone can give me any info please do. Thanks!
Sorry I didn't read the rules before I posted this. disregard this..

·
"Krypton"
1,086 Posts

oh, also to the OP (not trying to be a dick) when you email or write a company asking them to sponsor you... spell it correctly!

·
Hey Guy
5,290 Posts

Sponsorship is a super tough thing! Ive been racing my car for almost 10 years now, and we still struggle to bring in support. There are literally libraries of books on the subject. But, when it comes down to it, it costs money to make money. Id love to go racing for free too, but it have to put in before you can take out. Just to get started you're going to need a website http://www.mendenhallmotorsports.com business cards, swag, connections, etc etc.
The first place to start would be a product sponsorship. I would shoot for that first.

·
Just a dumb racer..
792 Posts

Thanks guys.

To the OP, getting just that proposal made for me cost about $1000 and 10 hours of my time working with my manager, my marketing manager (who conveniently is my GF) and the designers.

Things are coming together for me as a racer now, but unless you put in the hard work yourself no one will pay you to race.

I know that I'm the first one to get the track, the last one to leave, and if this comes together and there's enough money coming in to pay salaries, I'm the last person to get paid, and paid the least.

It's tough dude, but good luck to you :)

·
Banned
3,295 Posts

Getting a sponsorship is very hard to get in anything.. Especially in something that a lot of people do. Good luck to you

edit: and don't get the idea that you get money out the ass once your sponsored... Not how it works at all. I would know

·
Registered
1,940 Posts

you're gonna at least do your fair share of racing and post results before any business will wanna sponsor you. think about it, the only reason a business will sponsor you is to further themselves and get themselves seen, they're not going to risk money with someone who is a backmarker. its just part of the game and paying your dues.

they're also gonna want to know how YOU are going to help THEM, since they are risking a lot just to help you out.

you're going to have to put forth some effort outside of track events, you may need to be involved in whatever the company asks of you whether its using you and your bike for fundraising events, photos etc...

you will be very lucky to get a sponsor the first year, you're best bet is to start with contingencies.

also, if its a non motorcycle company ask for money, if its a motorcycle company, ask for parts related to their business.

edit: i specialize in marketing and that proposal is spot on. very good job and nicely presented and put together. i hope your gf is as hot as she is smart :thumbup

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts

I suspect you will need to work on your oral skills....:laugh

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts

nice work, rich!

the most important thing is to let the potential sponsor know exactly what they're going to be getting for their money/parts/services. you need to let them know why they shouldn't be spending their time, energy, and money on either another rider or form of advertising because of what you can offer them in instead.

·
Just a dumb racer..
792 Posts

In motorcycle racing at anything less than the world scene they're not too interested in results. The main thing a sponsor is interested in is what you'll do for them..

If you say "I'll put your stickers on my bike, give me 20 grand" you don't stand a chance, I do autograph sessions, public speaking, I'll put the bike in their showroom if they're entertaining customers, give them signed prints to put up around their stores.. pretty much anything they want I will do to go the extra mile.

It's a partnership, there are companies who are giving me bugger all, but I support this year because next year if they see return on their investment I will see return on mine.

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts
oh, also to the OP (not trying to be a dick) when you email or write a company asking them to sponsor you... spell it correctly!
Sorry... I corrected the spelling in the title. But yeah...

·
Slow is smooth
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Wow you guys, That's alot of really use full stuff to know. Believe it or not but all that input has already gotten me that much closer. Thank you all very,very much! I'm going to do all of the studing I have to do plus visit as many track days as nescessary to boost my confidence on the track, The day I'm sure, will eventually show up and that'll be my entrence to the exciting life. I just have to take it.

(RichO)....... Nice portfollio guy, it was a nice piece of work you did there, I almost wanted to give you a call and ask you to race for me, then I remembered, well, I want to race so f u.. lol, just joking man, you're the best. maybe one day I'll race you and have some fun. I don't know where you reside, but I'm in cali and will more then likely start out of (button willow race way).

If there is any more information beyond what i have already learned from you guys, please feel free to share it. Like the condition the bike has to be in, what kind of gear, etc... My bike has crack in one of the bolt housings next to the oil pumb. it's the housing that holds the upper half of the block to the oil case.. .. Again, you guys are very help full and thanks for the help!!!! Take care you'all'!!!

·
Just a dumb racer..
792 Posts
Wow you guys, That's alot of really use full stuff to know. Believe it or not but all that input has already gotten me that much closer. Thank you all very,very much! I'm going to do all of the studing I have to do plus visit as many track days as nescessary to boost my confidence on the track, The day I'm sure, will eventually show up and that'll be my entrence to the exciting life. I just have to take it.

(RichO)....... Nice portfollio guy, it was a nice piece of work you did there, I almost wanted to give you a call and ask you to race for me, then I remembered, well, I want to race so f u.. lol, just joking man, you're the best. maybe one day I'll race you and have some fun. I don't know where you reside, but I'm in cali and will more then likely start out of (button willow race way).

If there is any more information beyond what i have already learned from you guys, please feel free to share it. Like the condition the bike has to be in, what kind of gear, etc... My bike has crack in one of the bolt housings next to the oil pumb. it's the housing that holds the upper half of the block to the oil case.. .. Again, you guys are very help full and thanks for the help!!!! Take care you'all'!!!
My honest advice would be get into bucket racing by the sounds of it. If you don't have a lot of money you can race slower bikes a lot cheaper, and also racing slower bikes which may not soundas fun, still is.

All the best mate.

I live in Australia, racing in our Australian Supersport Championship but I'm hoping to be running international rounds by 2013.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts