Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

The title is pretty self explanatory, but I'll explain. I'm getting into my second season of track riding and I'm starting to think more about the ergonomics of my bike. I'm fairly tall at 6'1" and I wonder if the pegs shouldn't be a bit farther back and/or down for me. Maybe the bike fits me perfectly as is. Any guidelines I can use? Same for clip ons since we're on the ergo subject.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Its all about feel. The more comfortable you are the more you can focus on going fast. To me adjustable rearsets and clip ons are one of the first mods to do.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
I took my feelers off and started racing on stock, my woodcraft rear sets are better and much more crashable. Get them when, 1 yours break 2 you have the money.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
+1 on what Mercenary said... you should take that feeler off before doing track. i never broke my OEM ones but got new ones when i had the money. gotta say the new one took a little bit of getting used to but afterward it felt much better and had more grip on it then the OEM ones.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. I will definitely replace them if they break, but I'm thinking more from a standpoint of adjustability. Is there some reference point I can use to determine if the stock ones fit my leg length or if they need to go back, down, etc? Or do I just need to get a set and start playing with the adjustments?

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I will definitely replace them if they break, but I'm thinking more from a standpoint of adjustability. Is there some reference point I can use to determine if the stock ones fit my leg length or if they need to go back, down, etc? Or do I just need to get a set and start playing with the adjustments?
Do you drag toes? Do you have difficulty locking your leg into the tank in turns? I'm short, so I used to have to point my outside toe way down to get my knee against the tank. This was a sure indicator of needing to make an adjustment.

Hope things are going great for you! It's been a while since I've been on or seen you on!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you drag toes? Do you have difficulty locking your leg into the tank in turns? I'm short, so I used to have to point my outside toe way down to get my knee against the tank. This was a sure indicator of needing to make an adjustment.

Hope things are going great for you! It's been a while since I've been on or seen you on!
Thanks Chief, things are going pretty well. I definitely don't drag toe, I just barely touched a knee down at the end of last season, I'm really not that fast yet. I've only recently started to work on my BP so digging my knee into the tank is challenging right now, but I can't be sure its due to the position of the pegs. Sometimes I feel like I need them to be further back and down for my long legs, but I may just need more seat time.

Same goes for clip ons. I don't know how to tell if I need some adjustments there as well. Is it possible to adjust the stock ones or no?

Maybe I should try and get Dave Moss to have a look at all this at the next trackday at t-hill. I'm sure he will be able to tell just by having me sit on the bike.

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
Thanks Chief, things are going pretty well. I definitely don't drag toe, I just barely touched a knee down at the end of last season, I'm really not that fast yet. I've only recently started to work on my BP so digging my knee into the tank is challenging right now, but I can't be sure its due to the position of the pegs. Sometimes I feel like I need them to be further back and down for my long legs, but I may just need more seat time.

Same goes for clip ons. I don't know how to tell if I need some adjustments there as well. Is it possible to adjust the stock ones or no?

Maybe I should try and get Dave Moss to have a look at all this at the next trackday at t-hill. I'm sure he will be able to tell just by having me sit on the bike.
Dave Moss is the man. Having access to him personally has got to be EPIC.

Stock clip ons... You will notice that right hand turns, you cannot get off the bike as well as left due to the angle your hand and wrist are forced into. This is fixed with clipons and pushign them forward on less of an angle. Clearance issues QUICKLY arise with the headlight, the stay, etc. It's a battle man.

Billy (WildBill420) is tall too. He had to go with the Woodcrafts, but then ended up dragging his big feet all over. He is now looking for steel to sliders! :laugh

also, it's tough riding oem rearsets due to the lack of grip in the wet, etc.

Glad to see you posting up and even happier to hear things are gong well!

:cheers

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
As a fellow tall guy, I don't know how much aftermarket rearsets are going to help you with ergos. I've got Vortex, and have them as low as they'll go, and they feel about the same as stock. The aftermarket adjustability is usually geared towards putting you in a more aggressive position, which doesn't help so much for those of us who are 6'+ and need a little more leg room.

They are a lot grippier, crashable, and easier/cheaper to replace parts on.

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
I definitely don't drag toe, I just barely touched a knee down at the end of last season, I'm really not that fast yet. I've only recently started to work on my BP so digging my knee into the tank is challenging right now, but I can't be sure its due to the position of the pegs. Sometimes I feel like I need them to be further back and down for my long legs, but I may just need more seat time.
For me, it's comfort and crashability. I like to be pretty compact on a bike, and I'm 6'1"

The only time I drag my toes is when I'm doing something wrong ... getting tired and pushing the bike down MX style or something. I am running woodcraft rearsets and I've got A TON of ground clearance.

If your OE pegs are in good shape, you could probably sell them on ebay to subsidize new rearsets. The woodcrafts rebuild and crash beautifully, especially if you get the little nylon buttons in the ends of the pegs. Their new peg design is SUPER GRIPPY, too.

My 2 cents.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts