Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
D33PU
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know how to do a compression test on a 04 r6?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
take out all the spark plugs and connect the compression gauge to cylinder number 1. Hold the throttle wide open and crank the engine over 5 times. Read the gauge. repeat for cylinder 2, 3, and 4.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,858 Posts
But really, you might as well do a leakdown test since you're in there and it will tell you more anyway.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
You also need to make sure you have the piece inline on the gauge so it freezes at the position it read last vs just bouncing up and down lol
that would be a shrader valve ;) Yes. the gauge goes up n' up vs. bouncing.
As far as unhooking the fuel line, it's kind of silly to attempt this without just removing the tank and airbox, but whatever. You may need to use something to hold the butterflys open on the 3rd gen (fly by wire, they don't always open when you twist grip)
Looking for consistency between the cylinders. If you have low or high readings, some gauges can read a bit differently too. 15-20psi differences in some gauges. i have a $35 autozone one that reads 10psi lower than my friends $200 Snap on.. so i just keep that in mind :)

agree about a leakdown. do both, or ld is better. Just a little more in depth and little more "know how" needed. comp test is pretty darn easy, gauge is cheap.

DANG is this an old thread.. lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts