Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 R6 and hate the way the clutch is on the bike. I want to make it normal, by having it grab right away like all other bikes. Anyone know how to make the clutch grab faster, instead of all the way at the top?

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
^^^ that's actually the free play adjustment and should be kept to stock specs (10-15mm i think). the best way to accomplish what u want is aftermarket levers. they allow u to keep ur lever adjusted properly and use a separate dial to set the lever closer to the handlebar. this way, u'll engage the clutch right when u start to let out the lever. the most popular choice seems to be the pazzos and www.motomummy.com always has them in stock (free shipping).

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, I think thats BS that yamaha made the clutch this way (from my experience, warn clutches start to grab that high) and there is no excuse for a brand new bike with 50miles on it to do that. So without these levers, there is no way to adjust it?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine was the same way. I adjusted it with the dial on the stock lever, got it where I want it and it's always worked just fine with all the bikes i've ever had.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine was the same way. I adjusted it with the dial on the stock lever, got it where I want it and it's always worked just fine with all the bikes i've ever had.
How exactly did you adjust it? Did you turn it in tward the handle bar or out away from it? How many turns?

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
again, he's talking about the cable free play adjustment. you shouldn't use that to adjust the clutch to your liking. always try and keep it adjusted to properly - he probably has an inch of free play. either way, do what u want. turning it right will loosen up the lever.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I adjusted that quarter shape thing...but I don't remember which way i went. Just look at how much room you have and you'll be able to tell which way is the right way to go. I have mine adjusted all the way so I can have a better feel for it. It's only temporarily until I can afford some pazzos levers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Handlebar side
a. Turn the adjusting bolt “1” in direction “a”(counter clockwise) or
“b” (clockwise) until the specified clutch lever free play
is obtained.
NOTE:
If the specified clutch lever free play cannot be
obtained on the handlebar side of the cable,
use the adjusting nut on the engine side.
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼
Engine side
a. Loosen the locknut “1”.
b. Turn the adjusting nut “2” in direction “a” (counter clockwise) or
“b” (clockwise) until the specified clutch lever free play
is obtained.
c. Tighten the locknut “1”.
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can get your lever closer to the handle by:

1. Turning the handle bar adjusting bolt all they way in.
2. Loosening the cable from the engine nut.

3. Use the adjusting bolt to adjust the free play again a little closer to the grip.

You would have to play with it for a while, until you figure out how it works and find your likings.

Download the service manual. it shows you the details.

Adjusting ONLY the handle side, or ONLY the engine side at a time, will only adjust the free play. You have to loosen both to move the lever closer to grip.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2000 r6 and i was wondering the same thing, are you all talking about the new generation or is it the same on both? My cluth doesnt start to catch till the last second on my bike, i really want to fix it, how about getting a new performance clutch? Will that help this problem?

·
Registered
17 Posts
So putting a new clutch or plates in it will not do anything? What about adjusting the springs on the clutch basket? would any of this help? My clutch doesnt catch till the last second and i hate it! I dont know how old the clutch is but what makes the Pazzos levers so great?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts