Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having this fear of leaning the bike at higher speed when turning into corner. For example I was on freeway and i have to go on this 25mph round about ramp to switch freeway. Because of my fear, i slowed down to 20ish mph and the car behind me got so close to me.

I know only way out is to practice and practice, but i wanna know get all tips from you guys. How will you guys approach such turn?

Few weeks ago, i went biking with few people, and there is this one dude who only rode for 1 month is so good at leaning. I observed him from the back, I don't know what he does but his brake light never goes on when he is entering corner. Either he is using engine brake or he is just fearless when entering corner at high speed.

Sorry for being noob, because of school, i do not have a lot of time to ride even tho i got this bike for 4 months already.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Practice.

Start by looking through the turn. Look where you want to go not where you are. Helps avoid target fixation. Slow in fast out enter at a comfortable speed accelerate out but dont get greedy with the throttle. Smooth

Practice

·
Happy go Lucky Guy
396 Posts
lol, when your in LA we should ride that why I won't be the only noob =)

·
FAST 07 RED R6
200 Posts
:werd I DONT DRAG KNEE BUT I AGREE...PRACTICE PRACTICE!!

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Also take a look at the book "Twist of the wrist" by Keith Code very good info on cornering properly.

Always ride below your limits on the road. Don't push it it will come. Ride your own ride. Don't try to keep up with the fast guys in groups or let people behind you (bikes) force you to ride over your head, they can always pass if they need to

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
+1 on everything said above.

Lean yourself as well. You don't want to lean the bike and stay upright..... unless moving slowly (parking lot or something). But actually lean yourself, move your head to the inside of the bike and look through the turn and the bike will go where you want it to

·
Spend ALL the monies!
1,853 Posts
relax, just do it :D

haha - one time you will just realize your doing it after a bit...thats what i did

·
www.1seven1.com
2,063 Posts
Take a school! If you haven't done an MSF class, do it. Check some of the trackday providers in your area ... some may offer informal instruction.

Go out and ride with someone you trust in a controlled environment on a quiet Sunday morning or something. Practice and practice more! I've been riding 35 years and I still learn a ton every time I'm on the track.

-D

·
Registered
107 Posts
You need to lean on the inside of the bike with half your ass hanging off the seat and your knee pointed out towards the ground. I've been riding for three months now and have managed to take off ramps and 60 MPH + Depending on the smoothness of the ramp. But I also raced motocross for years, so that may have helped.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Haha, this is a great topic, but honestly leaning is really about "Trust". You really have to trust in your bike *knowing* it won't just fall over. It takes a while and the only real way to learn is through experience. Like everything else you have to continue to push your limits to get better and gain confidence in both yourself and the bike.

I can say one thing that that might help, or not, try not getting caught up in how fast you're going. Kind of goes with why they don't allow speed odometers on a race track. When you look at your speed, you'll automatically start to doubt your ability and you'll pull back. Now I'm not saying don't ever look, but as you become more confident in yourself and the bike, you'll just know what turns you can make and you'll start to not look as much.

As for you mentioning about a guy not using there brakes, that's because they know better. When turning you don't rely on the brake as much to slow down, but instead you use the engines RPM's. Keeping the RPM at a higher ranges allows you to ease of the gas and slow down instead of depending on the brake. Using the break tends to pull people in the upright position, which of course you can lean through.

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,925 Posts
My advice....

GO RIDE MORE!

It comes with time and practice. You're going about it the right way though. Reading books and takiing it slowly.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Dude, I have to say, the day you look at your tires and you notice you have no chicken stripes is a great day. You'll know what I mean when you make it. Good luck.

·
UnZUnDUnR
1,004 Posts
I have to agree with the riding part.I went up to ACH last weekend with a couple dudes from here.It was our first time & Ive had my bike 1 year.started around 25-30 & got up to 50-60mph in the turns.Didnt think id go that fast & never did before.Since ive never encountered turns on everyday roads that required me to lean as much, not to mentioned sliding half off the seat.Never needed to do any of this riding santiago & Id ridden that several dozen times prior to ACH.

·
I stall my R6
148 Posts
The tires can take more then you can. Trust them after they are warm! Don't try to lean too far on cold tires. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Another thing, don't lean to hard until that rubber is worn a bit, its too slippery at first , burn the nipples off it or else you'll slip.

·
Custom User Title
1,824 Posts
step 1) buy good proper gear
step 2)don't let it bother you, ride for a year and just enjoy it
step 3) go to a track day and get some proper instruction.

good job slowing down, idiots try and push them selves on the street and end up crashing.

·
My Bumblebee eats bugs.
31 Posts
Track Day. Don't be afraid to explore the boundaries of your machine, that's what it's made for. However fast you think your going, your bike can most likely go much much faster. Your first track day should require a class between sessions. You will learn more in one day than you could possibly learn in years of street riding. Also, you are required to use proper safety equipment which will come in handy when you take your newly aquired balls out to Ortega Hwy and experience those "close ones" we all love. Become one with your machine. Learn how to set it up and understand the physics of the bike. Want to be FAST! Without the "need for speed" it is hard to overcome slowness. Read Twist of the Wrist, Sport Riding Techniques, and anything else you can. Watch every race you can. Do more track days, then do more track days. Whatever the cost, it's worth it. Be safe!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Just have fun, don't try to go fast or keep up with other people. I started riding on a 250, which is much more confidence-inspiring that a razor-sharp handling supersport, and i quickly became hooked on the backroads... i'd recommend riding the same roads pretty often at first, because you'll focus more on your riding if you're not wondering what the road looks like ahead. I still do this today, i have my favorite roads, and those are the only ones I really push the bike on. Always keep your eyes open!! Learn to focus on things in your peripheral vision. Also, you'll pick up on the physics of the bike quicker (and a ton of other great riding advice) if you read a book like twist of the wrist 2, but the main thing is you ride your own pace and have fun. Don't ride scared, and don't ride stupid :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts