Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Insurance is a must, but what about locks/chains and alams?

Also IF you do use a lock/chain, where do you put it when youre riding?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
i secure it by keeping it in my garage, you can fit the bike through your front door if you want locks and chains wont help you can still pick it up with 2 big people :poke

·
Registered
836 Posts
I chain it to an immovable object, even in my garage. :roll:

Doesn't take but a few minutes to break into a garage, then once inside the thieves are hidden until they drive off with your bike.

Basically, if someone wants to steal your shit bad enough... they are going to get it. Nothing you can do about it unless you watch it 24/7 waiting to great the theif with a H&K.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I leave mine in my garage with the key in it. If someone steals it i get 2 grand more then i payed for it. insurance is the way to go.

·
Registered
995 Posts
got a Metz alarm.keep my bike in the garage chained to the wall

·
Registered
531 Posts
Mines mainly parked at the back of my house or out the back of work behind some gates so all I use is a disc lock.

Also living in Oz the rate at which these get stolen is nowhere near as it is in the states.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I use a disc lock all the time, and when I ride I keep it in the pouch it came with under the bitch seat. If I am carrying a backpack I put the cable lock on the rear. I've thought about an alarm since my R6 is nicer than anyone elses R6 around here. :mrgreen:

Rubber side down!

·
Registered
501 Posts
I use a kryptonite brake lock and keep it under the rear seat when not used. :roll:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Semi thread-jack here, but its somewhat on topic.

I'm going for a ride this weekend and I'll be parking in a national or state park or something like that to go camping. You get the idea... its remote. There will be a few other riders coming with... I'm a little nervous leaving my bike out (the shelter is actually pretty close to the road, which is good).

I'm planning on bringing a 30' chain/cable to lock all of the bikes together and possibly to a fixed object (tree, pylon, etc). Has anybody dealt with this kind of thing before? Any tricks or ideas to better secure my bike?

·
Registered
222 Posts
and it begins... the smartassed "disassemble the bike and put each part in a different location of the house" replies... sheesh :bash

I'm insured of course, but that won't do me any freakin' good when I'm stranded in BFE without transportation. Seems smart to hedge my bets, no?

I'm starting to think I should invest in a beat-to-hell set of Katana fairings so I can make my bike look like a giant piece of crap not worth the time when I go on a road-trip.

Then when I want to impress, I'll put the clean fairings back on. :cheers

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hey couldn't help myself! Are you going to be sleeping far from the bike? Is this like camping or is it going to be more like Cabins??

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
vtlion said:
and it begins... the smartassed "disassemble the bike and put each part in a different location of the house" replies... sheesh :bash

I'm insured of course, but that won't do me any freakin' good when I'm stranded in BFE without transportation. Seems smart to hedge my bets, no?

I'm starting to think I should invest in a beat-to-hell set of Katana fairings so I can make my bike look like a giant piece of crap not worth the time when I go on a road-trip.

Then when I want to impress, I'll put the clean fairings back on. :cheers
Naaa.....I just remove the engine every night and tuck it into the side of my bed I dont sleep on...

:poke

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
hey dave if you put one of those hot chicks you always seem to keep around next to it they wont even notice theres a bike there. :mrgreen: :boob

and jasamb you have to keep your engine in the bed with you. its cause your life partner isnt around anymore isnt it. :gay :idhitit

·
Registered
222 Posts
deserteaglepoint50 said:
Hey couldn't help myself! Are you going to be sleeping far from the bike? Is this like camping or is it going to be more like Cabins??
I'll be within earshot, and at least one of us will have an audible alarm. I'm not any more concerned about theft than I usually am when I park in public, but if it did occur 500 miles from home it would suck serious ass. I'll probably be at greater risk of having the bike knocked over by a curious bear or it getting chewed on by a freakin' chipmunk or something.

Maybe I should throw some nice, knobby dual-sport tires on it and just ride the R6 up to the campsite! :cheers

·
Registered
786 Posts
My garage is on a downward angle (driveway) and underground. You think it would attract more thieves to continally park our cars right up to the garage door (they would have to lift the bike up over the hood of the car, or go up 10 baement stairs and out front door) or no? Basically they would have to lift the car up by the rear axle to pull the car up on the driveway and away from the garage door....

I guess they'd need like a pickup truck or some shit to do that

1 - 20 of 21 Posts