Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some things that you should consider that'll make you not fit to be a rider. I recently got my 6 (used) and have been riding it up and down the street and in a small parking lot. It's been about two weeks since I've riden (partly because I've been at home and my bikes down at school and the street and parkin lot I ride on is small as hell). The fastest I've gone is 30 and I feel comfortable yet nervous. There are times when I question myself whether or not I should be a rider. Partly because my parents are heavily against it(and I am a little intimidated by the power). I'm scheduled to take the MSF course next weekend. I'm just curious to know what I should do if I'm questioning myself, because I know that thinking like that will only eventually get me into trouble. Maybe it's just cause I haven't riden in two weeks and am feelin rusty.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Don't ride a bike if you hear voices inside your head... and you actually do what they say. :mrgreen:

Otherwise...

Take the MSF course before you do any more riding. Any bad habits you develop are going to be a bitch to deal with. After you take the MSF, go ahead and repeat the drills by yourself until you get comfortable enough to hit the street.

You want to be to the point where the physical operation of the bike requires almost no thought... so that you can concentrate on the mental stuff they teach you in the MSF. When you are driving your car, be sure to practice the mental stuff, that way you can start to burn it into your brain.

Perhaps it will replace those voices... never did for me, but you may have better luck.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
youll really have a better idea if you can be a safe rider after the MSF course. and the fact that the power kinda scares you is ok, it will keep you in check till your skills get better and you actually learn how to make the bike handle right. just dont push your own limits and youll be ok, theres no hurry to GO BIG. just enjoy the ride and work it at your own pace :cheers

·
Registered
524 Posts
First off, from what you’ve said, I don’t think you’re “unfit” to be a rider. Bike riding may not be for you, but that’s a personal choice. You should go ahead and give the MSF course a chance. You really need to learn to ride before you can give the whole motorcycle thing a fair shake.

For most of us, riding bikes is just something we love and we’re very passionate about these machines. Sportbikes are not the most comfortable, safest, or cheapest way to travel. So if you don’t love it, why do it? I guess the question you need to answer is “Do I love riding motorcycles?”

Respect your parents but don’t let them live your life for you. I caught a lot of crap from family/friends when I was younger for being a bike rider. For a while it seemed like at least one person told me everyday how I was going to die riding my bike. Well, I’ve been riding for over 10 years now. People are also afraid of my guns and that doesn’t prevent me from enjoying shooting sports. My point is that there are critics everywhere who will put you down for doing something they fear. Don’t live your life according to other people’s fear!

There’s nothing to be ashamed of if you decide riding is not for you. My brother made that decision about 8 years ago after several stupid accidents on motorcycles. I’m glad he did.

·
Registered
267 Posts
PhoEniX said:
Thanks for the feedback guys. Good to know there's some support out there.
PhoEniX, dude, i went through the same stuff after i bought my six. i was happy for like a couple of weeks and then i went through extreme buyer's remorse. but then i had some good rides and never looked back. i too thought that maybe i just wasn't ready and made a mistake. just gain some road experience and this "phase" will be over wit.

:FU

·
Registered
270 Posts
Don't doubt your abilities to ride. Remember, everybody was a "beginner" at some point. Don't dwell too much on what might happen, but just be a careful rider, and ride to the best of your abilities. You won't know if you like it, unless you try it.

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
Like many others, I too was there. The first time I got on the R6 that I had just bought, and started to ride. I was worried that I had gone too big, and should have started with a different bike; since riding a street bike is different the a dirt bike.

Remember you can determine how fast you go, thus increasing your margin of saftey. You will learn a lot in your MSF course, and you will really understand if riding is for you.

I my self determined that riding is for me, but riding on a sport bike is a lot different then on a crusier; and I enjoy both!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Well, I think most riders get nervous at some point when they start riding. When i first got my six i jumped on and didn't think twice. But then i had to wait to get insurance and the longer i waited the more nervous i got...but basically the more i rode, the more that nervousness went away. Just remember to have fun, ride safe, and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have to say personally after I took the MSF course I was nervous. I had never ridden a bike before and was quite intimidated by the power and kept asking myself, "What if this happens, what if that happens" Eventually like someone else said, controlling the bike is subconcious and you can concentrate on what is going on in traffic.

I think this nervousness is what kept me in check. It made me more cautious, made me take my time and not overstep my limits. People that ignore this nervousness and get in over their head, sadly end up dead. I know quite a few people that have done this because they were careless.

Just take your time and don't do anything you don't feel comfortable with and you'll be fine! I didn't think I was a rider at first, but now I know that I will never go the rest of my life without a motorcycle! Its a great feeling!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have to say personally after I took the MSF course I was nervous. I had never ridden a bike before and was quite intimidated by the power and kept asking myself, "What if this happens, what if that happens" Eventually like someone else said, controlling the bike is subconcious and you can concentrate on what is going on in traffic.

I think this nervousness is what kept me in check. It made me more cautious, made me take my time and not overstep my limits. People that ignore this nervousness and get in over their head, sadly end up dead. I know quite a few people that have done this because they were careless.

Just take your time and don't do anything you don't feel comfortable with and you'll be fine! I didn't think I was a rider at first, but now I know that I will never go the rest of my life without a motorcycle! Its a great feeling!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts