Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've only been riding for a couple of months but the main reason i started is because I've always wanted to track. :nocontrol
(I do have a couple years of dirt experience so I'm not only months new to bikes in general)

How do I know when I'm ready to try my hand in a track without getting in the way?

How can i practice things to get good enough to actually try my hand at a track if I'm not ready now?

·
Premium Member
35,478 Posts
My first track day (and yours, imo) should be really just to have fun and get used to the track scene. You don't need to worry about dragging knee or anything, just enjoy your time there. As for experience, I had zero experience with twisty roads before I went to my first track day. I was only a commuter and on my first track day, I was fine. As long as you're a responsible rider, you should be good. I think some people would say at least 6 months street experience or so.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks i dont plan on dropping my knee for a little bit i just didnt want to get into other peoples ways if im trying to get comfortable still

i still got to buy my one piece and some track plastics because i dont want to mess up the ones i just freshly painted on my bike haha

·
Premium Member
35,478 Posts
thanks i dont plan on dropping my knee for a little bit i just didnt want to get into other peoples ways if im trying to get comfortable still

i still got to buy my one piece and some track plastics because i dont want to mess up the ones i just freshly painted on my bike haha
Hahah yeah, just be careful out there. See if you can rent or borrow a suit for your first time. Even though I highly doubt it, you might not like it.

·
n00b
2,325 Posts
i wont get in the way of others or anything though?
Never worry about that at the track. The riders behind you are responsible for making safe passes and avoiding you. The Beginner group is made for just people that are BEGINNERS!!! You will be surrounded with people of equal skill lever and experience. I had about 1000 miles on the street before I went to the track. You have nothing to worry about. As long as you know the basics of riding you are fine. I have been riding less than 9 months and have learned so much from going to the track.

·
Sticky-side-down.
465 Posts
Best practice is to follow the organizers on the track and get them to critique your riding. You will learn a ton just by osmosis from being around all the riders and watching what others are doing.
Worried about getting in the way? Bah! Just keep a tight line and let everyone else take you on the outside.

·
Premium Member
35,478 Posts
Never worry about that at the track. The riders behind you are responsible for making safe passes and avoiding you. The Beginner group is made for just people that are BEGINNERS!!! You will be surrounded with people of equal skill lever and experience. I had about 1000 miles on the street before I went to the track. You have nothing to worry about. As long as you know the basics of riding you are fine. I have been riding less than 9 months and have learned so much from going to the track.
This, plus let an instructor know it's your first time and he should be able to work with you first.

·
n00b
2,325 Posts
This, plus let an instructor know it's your first time and he should be able to work with you first.
x2

The first few sessions you will be going super slow anyways. All the organizations around here make the beginner group ride uber slow the first couple sessions just so they learn the race line. You will be bored and hate it to tell you the truth. But as you begin to pick up speed you will thank the coaches for doing it because it will all make sense. By the end of the first day you will begin to get in your groove and really enjoy the track.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sweet than.me everyone :) looking forward to it can't wait and I don't mind going slow the first few times to understand the basics of track riding... Do you guys know any goos groups that have good beginner classes

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
Sweet than.me everyone :) looking forward to it can't wait and I don't mind going slow the first few times to understand the basics of track riding... Do you guys know any goos groups that have good beginner classes
Just get out there, keep a really cool head and think about your riding. Critique what you're feeling and ride with a veteran. DON'T ride out of your comfort zone or let your enthusiasm get the better of you.

You'll have a blast

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
I did my first track day at Fontana with www.fastrackriders.com

They've got a new rider school that they require you to take your first time out there that they do a really good job with. Riding at Auto Club Speedway is quite a bit pricier than a lot of other tracks, but it's worth it in my opinion. It's closer, everyone gets a garage and lap timer for no additional charge, and they're super organized.

I'm headed out there on October 29th if you're interested.

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,058 Posts
I did my first trackday with Jason Pridmore's school and learned more in one day than 2 years of street riding.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Some schooling goes a long way. I did 2 Code days before hitting the track. That training has allowed me to advance pretty quickly.

I bought my R6 specifically for the track and I went from 0 track days in May, to 7 days and probably signing up for 4 more days before mothballing the season.

Be careful though, very few things are more addictive than "track crack".

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Best practice is to follow the organizers on the track and get them to critique your riding. You will learn a ton just by osmosis from being around all the riders and watching what others are doing.
Worried about getting in the way? Bah! Just keep a tight line and let everyone else take you on the outside.
Lolz, dude we are not water. But i get your point. I havent done any track day yet but as soon as i get the proper gears, im off. Cant believe how expensive those one piece suits are.:thumbdown

·
Derp
1,308 Posts
Just get out there, keep a really cool head and think about your riding. Critique what you're feeling and ride with a veteran. DON'T ride out of your comfort zone or let your enthusiasm get the better of you.

You'll have a blast
:werd

Listen to this man.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts