Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys wash your suit!?

I want to soak it in the tub and really douche this thing good. What soap do you use?

Dry cleaning isn't gonna cut it. I need serious soakage and soapage.

My one buddy uses axe body wash and gets his arm lathered up and hammers it into the sleeves and legs and shit.

I've read car was soap works well.

I use a leather cleaner when the suit is dry. That's not gonna hack it. I really want this thing clean.

I'll lay it out to dry in a cool spot out of the sun so it won't shrink. I got that covered. It hasn't rained this season at a trackday and that's usually good for me cause I rain ride on rain tires and it just gets super clean that way. Soaks all the way through and I love it. Smells good afterwards.

The inner liner comes out. But if I can just soap up my arm or the tub and hand clean in there I won't need to worry about getting it back in etc.

Help a homie out and lend me some suggestions you have from personal experiences.

:YEA

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
you can soak it in a bath tub with cold water and regular laundry detergent & a soft brush to clean the surface area. Then you can rinse it a few times to get all the soap out. Or even throw it in a top load washer. if you can remove the armor... that's highly recommended.

Ive done quite a few of them that way or in the washer (doing 1 now). The washer spin cycle gets it pretty dry so you can lay it flat on a beach towel and condition it (lexol or hand lotion) as it dries. A small fan over a couple days while conditioning it makes it like new. (feel & smell)

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I used to use saddle soap on my saddles with some water as a kid. And they are made for rain so you can get it good and wet. I, personally, enjoy the smell of my own farts, so my own sweat soaked ass cocoon is the best thing outside the pearly gates or a vag. Really though, saddle soap seems to work pretty good for me. When I did mine last time I put it in the front loader on delicate on a rinse only cold cycle to get things moving. Worked great, then went to SS in the tub with a wax applicator. Stays surprisingly supple. I would recommend fan drying it though, especially if you have a liner and pay particular attention to the speed hump. I almost want to put a zipper in mine so I can pull out the frame and make sure it gets dry so it doesnt smell like the Aggs undershorts at the end of a long three days of camping with no replacement.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Some of that is dye though, too.... But there is some obvious brown to that water...:laugh

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Some of that is dye though, too.... But there is some obvious brown to that water...:laugh
yah thats why I suggested a "soak" in a tub before the machine.
I washed that suit 5 times in the tub and twice in the washer. It came out looking & smelling brand new!. Person I sold it too asked if it had ever been worn. :D

·
no R6 for me :(
59 Posts
you wash a suit in the wash machine with soap. Or dawn. let it dry laying on the ground (not on a hanger) and then condition with the cheapest non-scented lotion you can find. Or send it to barnacle bill for $50 and he'll do all that for you.

You know sweat will ruin leather right? Do it twice a year. AND WASH YOUR GLOVES

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you wash a suit in the wash machine with soap. Or dawn. let it dry laying on the ground (not on a hanger) and then condition with the cheapest non-scented lotion you can find. Or send it to barnacle bill for $50 and he'll do all that for you.

You know sweat will ruin leather right? Do it twice a year. AND WASH YOUR GLOVES

Yea man. The salt is makin my gloves feel crusty till they get sweaty again. The lack of rain this year is killin me man. I don't think putting dawn in the laundry washer is a good idea. Won't it foam up like it does in a dish washer? Either way I've heard dawn works well. That's what I'm gonna use.

I know hanging it will stretch it. Thanks for the advice!

·
59 Posts
I meant dawn in a tub. But regular detergent is what you use in the machine. The drying and conditioning is the critical part. Gotta turn them inside out after a day of air drying. Then keep applying the lotion for like 3-5 days. It make the leather really supple!

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I meant dawn in a tub. But regular detergent is what you use in the machine. The drying and conditioning is the critical part. Gotta turn them inside out after a day of air drying. Then keep applying the lotion for like 3-5 days. It make the leather really supple!

Awesome man. I heard something for delicates like woollite if you use the washer

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Awesome man. I heard something for delicates like woollite if you use the washer
all the laundry soaps work the same. The generic scented detergents do a pretty good jo on the liners/fabric portion. The washer is only going to agitate the suit so much. So if its never been cleaned before a generous prewash will give the best results.
Just make sure you use a lanolin based hand lotion (jergens / generic) or something like lexol while its still damp and apply generously when drying.
I got some pharmacy grade lanolin that works good but its almost a solid (like saddle soap) and requires alot of manual input. ;)

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
all the laundry soaps work the same. The generic scented detergents do a pretty good jo on the liners/fabric portion. The washer is only going to agitate the suit so much. So if its never been cleaned before a generous prewash will give the best results.

Just make sure you use a lanolin based hand lotion (jergens / generic) or something like lexol while its still damp and apply generously when drying.

I got some pharmacy grade lanolin that works good but its almost a solid (like saddle soap) and requires alot of manual input. ;)

I guess just no spin cycle then right? If imagine it could break the washer cause it is super heavy? Especially heavy when wet?

I'm gonna try and wash this shit tonight. My gloves need it so bad.

I know when I've used Lexol on car seats it made em slippery. Does that happen with the suit or gloves?

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
I guess just no spin cycle then right? If imagine it could break the washer cause it is super heavy? Especially heavy when wet?

I'm gonna try and wash this shit tonight. My gloves need it so bad.

I know when I've used Lexol on car seats it made em slippery. Does that happen with the suit or gloves?

shouldnt break the washer unless its really old. I usually hook the ankle to the arm cuff so the suit doesnt bunch up or get twisted during the wash. The spin cycle will speed up the drying process.

The lexol is abit slippery going on, but I use a chamois or cotton rag to wipe the excess off. Shouldnt have to wipe much off during the drying phase since it will absorb into the leather. I like it because its much less work versus rubbing saddle soap or lanolin. Hand lotion works good on the stretch panels.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
Subbed for when this becomes relevant to me. :)

·
59 Posts
you're not supposed to use lexol or saddle soap on riding leathers cause it clogs the pours.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you're not supposed to use lexol or saddle soap on riding leathers cause it clogs the pours.

Not supposed to use Lexol leather conditioner/cleaner?

What leather conditioner do you recommend?

That revvit article had good info and apparently that company makes some of their own products.

You think just the water and soaking and rinsing will dissolve the salt?

·
make the snow go away!!
215 Posts
It's been brought up on here before and sounds weird but after washing with soap rub it down for with pledge. Conditions the leather and doesn't clog the pores. Plus it has a nice shine to it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 27 Posts