Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
1st Gens Unite!
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm pretty new to riding sportbikes so dont give me too much of a hard time. I was curious since our bikes are happy in that 10-12 thousand rpm range, how fast or how long should you ride in first gear, second gear, and so on?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Motorcycle App

·
1st Gens Unite!
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I usually keep mine around 8-10 thousand rpm. The reason I asked is because A guy at the dealership told me that the newer bikes can get to 80-100 mph in first and i kinda dont believe him.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I usually keep mine around 8-10 thousand rpm. The reason I asked is because A guy at the dealership told me that the newer bikes can get to 80-100 mph in first and i kinda dont believe him.

All depends on how your bike is geared. Twist the throttle in first until you hit redline, that's how fast you can go in first. But be careful, it will pick up the front wheel at wide open throttle in first.

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
As long as you can stand the sound of you flogging your motor. :D

For max speed, what TKB said. Redline in first gear is your max speed in first. Not much reason to *hold* a constant speed at high RPM. 6-8k rpm is great for holding a constant speed, then downshift if you need to pass or pick up the pace.

In most cases the higher the RPM the harder it is to hold a smooth, constant throttle.

·
Parts Pimp
26,472 Posts

with stock gearing the newer R6 does like 85 or something stoopid like that in 1st at 16.5K.. On the 1st gen, if you rev up past 8k under normal everyday riding, you're gonna have a rough ride. Plus, if you rev 1st high, 2nd gear shift on that bike isn't too smooth. Shift around 6k or so in 1st to 2nd in town. If you're opening that shit up to take off, wind it up as high as you'd like.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
So I'm pretty new to riding sportbikes so dont give me too much of a hard time. I was curious since our bikes are happy in that 10-12 thousand rpm range, how fast or how long should you ride in first gear, second gear, and so on?
time to step off the bike and walk away...

·
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
867 Posts
I'd stay under 8k until you're a more experienced rider. There is no way for us to tell you how to shift because we aren't there with you. Use YOUR own judgment, the faster you are trying to accelerate, the higher you let you RPM go. If you're puttering around town, you should probably just keep it between 4 and 7k.

·
1st Gens Unite!
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well my main concern wasnt safety or comfort. I respect the bike alot. My main concern was what's best for the engine, performance wise.

I'm not trying to get on the track anytime soon, but just out of curiosity, how hard do you guys push your bikes on the track?

·
Parts Pimp
26,472 Posts
Well my main concern wasnt safety or comfort. I respect the bike alot. My main concern was what's best for the engine, performance wise.

I'm not trying to get on the track anytime soon, but just out of curiosity, how hard do you guys push your bikes on the track?

Shift at 10 MPH in 1st to second. It's super low RPMs and will shift silky smooth. I honestly think I've read that there are suggested shift points in the manual. No joke.

·
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
867 Posts
^^^ :laugh nice answer

Chief I think you're right, I've seen somewhere that has a tree graph with a speed range for each gear

·
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
867 Posts

Also to answer your question, the peak power comes at 14,050 RPM for a 3rd I believe. However, on the street if you're at 14,050 RPM even in first gear you'd still be going 60-70ish so unless you're at a track there's no need to have it rev'd that high.

·
fok mi! fok u!
260 Posts
You don't want to have the bike reved out crazy when riding 'specially in the corners. Notice the video that he's mid rpm range through the corner if he rolls off the throttle or onto the throttle he's not in the peak power band where the bike will transfer weight front/rear quickly... this can cause the bike to become unstable and give you a toss.

Street riding.. Low - Mid RPM Range is all you need.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts