Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got hit while at a stop.. car hit the front end of the bike from the left side doing about 40-50..

Split the top triple tree in half, bent up the forks, wheels is all bent up and pushed towards the header... some dumbass college kid not paying attention..

So how hard is it to bend these frames?

07 R6 btw...

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
youre probably screwed, but a frame guy or your dealer should be able to tell you.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
its aluminum....it would probably break...but if it is bent, it probably can't be put back. I know people talk of replacing frames, not fixing frames.

·
Hey Guy
5,290 Posts
Damn dude. And you're still alive?

Its not always how hard you get hit, but where and at what angle. You're gonna have to take it somewhere and have them take a look at it.

·
I ride bitches year round
1,834 Posts
How does a car hit the front of your bike doing 50MPH while you are stopped?

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
How does a car hit the front of your bike doing 50MPH while you are stopped?
i was wondering what the hell happened also.damn thats messed up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Copied from another forum.

Its hard to explain, but I was pulling onto 46 in bloomington out of a mcdonalds exit, cars were backed up at a stoplight and couple people parked farther back being nice and letting me out. Old man waved me out and I pulled out about halfway, then signaled for the old guy to check behind him again to assure no cars were going to go through the turning lane.

He nodded and waved me through once again, I pulled the nose of the bike out around the truck just a tad to TRIPLE check if any cars were coming and as soon as i nosed the bike out, some IU student was obviously flying out of a ****ing parking lot, and into that turning lane, therefore the old man wouldnt have been able to see him in his mirrors. I was at a very slow roll, but the kid was on it hard and was doin 40-50mph. He hit me, bike slid out from underneath me, I landed on my feet miraculously...

I went to pick my bike up, then called the cops, and I seen him picking up his hubcap.. yes it hit hard enough to knock his hubcap off.. 'then I looked away while on the phone with the police, and THE MOTHER****ER HAD THE NERVE TO TRY AND DRIVE OFF... so I chased him down on foot and told him to pull his ****ing shit over, and he acted as if nothing had even happened. It took everything I had mentally to not rip this kids head off.

Insurance looks at it monday, and if the frame is bent its totaled and gets paid off because I bought GAP insurance with it. If not im left with a 1000$ deductable, but i think me and steve are gonna work something out.

I dont have any pics, but the triple trees are ripped in half, forks are pretzeled, wheel is ****ed, all scratched up on the left side, so the pipe is ok. The bike wont even roll straight, only at an angle.

·
B4B
12,775 Posts
Copied from another forum.

Its hard to explain, but I was pulling onto 46 in bloomington out of a mcdonalds exit, cars were backed up at a stoplight and couple people parked farther back being nice and letting me out. Old man waved me out and I pulled out about halfway, then signaled for the old guy to check behind him again to assure no cars were going to go through the turning lane.

He nodded and waved me through once again, I pulled the nose of the bike out around the truck just a tad to TRIPLE check if any cars were coming and as soon as i nosed the bike out, some IU student was obviously flying out of a ****ing parking lot, and into that turning lane, therefore the old man wouldnt have been able to see him in his mirrors. I was at a very slow roll, but the kid was on it hard and was doin 40-50mph. He hit me, bike slid out from underneath me, I landed on my feet miraculously...

I went to pick my bike up, then called the cops, and I seen him picking up his hubcap.. yes it hit hard enough to knock his hubcap off.. 'then I looked away while on the phone with the police, and THE MOTHER****ER HAD THE NERVE TO TRY AND DRIVE OFF... so I chased him down on foot and told him to pull his ****ing shit over, and he acted as if nothing had even happened. It took everything I had mentally to not rip this kids head off.

Insurance looks at it monday, and if the frame is bent its totaled and gets paid off because I bought GAP insurance with it. If not im left with a 1000$ deductable, but i think me and steve are gonna work something out.

I dont have any pics, but the triple trees are ripped in half, forks are pretzeled, wheel is ****ed, all scratched up on the left side, so the pipe is ok. The bike wont even roll straight, only at an angle.
:eek5 i dont know what to think

·
Registered
40 Posts
The frame will bend prior to breaking. There are plenty of places that do it, though they aren't everywhere. I am in Portland and know of shops in Cali and in Washington, so you may have to travel a bit to get it done.

I had my race bike checked last winter - frame, subframe, forks, etc were checked. Frame and subframe were straightened. Cost ~$1k, but didn't require me to drop the motor (some shops do).

Check with a local performance / tuner / suspension shop...they should be able to point you to someone.

Based on what you said the damage was, I would be surprised if your frame isn't bent.

·
www.1seven1.com
2,063 Posts
some dumbass college kid not paying attention
Sounds like he bought you a new R6 with all the goodies and enough cash left over for a couple years worth of track days.

-D

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
Unless I'm reading this wrong, Datsun pulled out in front of the truck. Even if the truck was speeding, if Datsun pulled out, he is in the wrong in terms of the accident, and it will be his insurance company spending money, not the driver's. Which sucks even more for him.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, truck didnt hit me, the truck was waving me on, so instead of flying out of there on his word, I was preparing to peek around the truck to see if anyone was coming, just so I Wasn't going by the old mans word 100% and when I peeked the nose of the bike to where I could look side to side, thats when the kid slammed into me.. where he hit me there was no actual turning lane YET.. so im waiting to see whats going to happen.

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
Did the police come out to take a look around and write tickets?

I've read and re-read the description of events, but I still can't see how it was the car driver's fault. Yes, he was speeding, but you pulled out in front of him (could you have looked through the truck's windows to see if anyone was coming?). I've gotten a ticket when I was hit by a speeder because I had pulled out in front of the other car. Their speed didn't really matter because I was the one who had failed to yield. In my case, the speeder didn't even get a ticket, just me.

·
GSXR Eater
754 Posts
Did the police come out to take a look around and write tickets?

I've read and re-read the description of events, but I still can't see how it was the car driver's fault. Yes, he was speeding, but you pulled out in front of him (could you have looked through the truck's windows to see if anyone was coming?). I've gotten a ticket when I was hit by a speeder because I had pulled out in front of the other car. Their speed didn't really matter because I was the one who had failed to yield. In my case, the speeder didn't even get a ticket, just me.
+1 same thing happend to my buddy as fawked up as it is...

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Damn dude that sucks, I hope everything works out for ya!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, it was just a really bad intersection that was extremely busy, no clear veiw through the guys window, too many cars behind him. I will find out monday though if the insurance guy is going to let me take it somewhere to get the frame checked or not.

Neither of us got a ticket btw..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts