Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who has used the rotor hone from braketec

i was thinking about getting the braketec rotor hone cause when i brake i get a vibration in handlebars and someone said i should re hone the rotor. what do you think of this and is it easy to do.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think it is worth a shot to try that or just replace the rotors I don't really have a lot of extra cash right now but don't want to waste my money on the rotor hone if it probally won't work. But the vibration doesn't happen all the time just every once in a while sometimes worse than others

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
Rotorhone is ideal when you change types of compound... for example, going from an organic material to a sintered metal compound. It doesn't seem like it's the right solution for you... it may help slightly, but if your rotor is even a little bit warped, you will continue to have the vibration.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I belive they were the stock pads cause it only has like 7k miles when I changed them out to the ebc hh sinister pads but I felt the shutter in the handle bars before I changed the pads

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
if you have a front stand seeing a warped rotor is easy.
if you are unsure or have bad eyes, hold something against your fork leg such as a pencil and just let it touch your rotor. now spin the wheel with your hand and see if it moves away from the tip or pushes on it.

·
Premium Member
12,093 Posts
Thread Jack! Sort of...

I plan to hone my rotors this weekend. Any tips for a first timer?

Should I buy a flex hone to use with my drill? Or should I use something else?

·
Registered
859 Posts
I had the same issue on my R1.
Here is the solution if not warpped
Remove rotors and brake pads.
Sand (sanding paper 180-220 grade) rotors with dish washing soap and water mixed, sand more on the inside part cause thats where there is more pressure from the calipers or sand equally. Hence why I said to remove rotors, its bitch to sand them while on the wheel. Get the point?
For the brake pads grab a wire brush and apply dish washing soap directly to the pad and brush.
Finish off rinsing with water.
Dawn works best, no joke

I dont know why but from what I have seen it seems to happen more on Yamaha Rotors then on other brands

·
Banned
7,347 Posts

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
What grade/coarseness hone? This would probably be a good idea when I install my Xrac's eh?
I'll have to check for you... never really bothered to look at it that closely. I got mine from A-Man who gets them from Braketech. Works beautifully...

Yes, I would definitely use this (or at least some ScotchBrite before installing your XRACs or ST's or any sintered metal pad for that matter, especially if you're changing from the stock organic pad...

·
It's pronounced "Tollz"
7,760 Posts
I'll have to check for you... never really bothered to look at it that closely. I got mine from A-Man who gets them from Braketech. Works beautifully...

Yes, I would definitely use this (or at least some ScotchBrite before installing your XRACs or ST's or any sintered metal pad for that matter, especially if you're changing from the stock organic pad...
:bow Thanks!

·
slow guy
4,409 Posts
I'd email these guys or just buy it from them.
http://www.braketech.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=83&Itemid=100

instructions,
http://www.braketech.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=87&Itemid=105

skip their retarded cleaning procedure and use brake cleaner.

Thanks guys, going from stock pads so I think this would be a good idea.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts