Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the tittle says, I'm very new to riding sports bikes and I would like to make out to the track with other noob riders so I can learn more about my bike, the leaning, braking and all of that in a controlled area, I have had the bike for a little over a month and have put around 1500 miles on it. Should I wait a little longer and the go?

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
Don't wait...just go. You will learn more about the bike and riding than you would on the street by yourself. Just be prepared to never want to ride on the street again haha

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for the info guys, the bike will go to Marrieta motorsports to get new sprockets, chain and a much needed valve adjustment. Going to get the jeep and trailer ready for a trip to the track soon.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
If you're at the point where you can do all the basic operations (throttle, shifting, braking turning) without having to really think about it, I'd say you're good to go for some track time.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Thanks a lot for the info guys, the bike will go to Marrieta motorsports to get new sprockets, chain and a much needed valve adjustment. Going to get the jeep and trailer ready for a trip to the track soon.
Marietta motorsports is a
great place. Tell huey to feel better lol

Jennings GP has a pretty decent Novice day.

http://www.jenningsgp.com/trackschool.htm

Its 4.5hrs south of ya but worth its inexpensive cost. Prep is minimal and the class sized is limited. The staff has extensive experience.
Totally worth it. I did it back in May and only 4 riders showed up. Lots of on track time and instruction. It helped drop my times a lot.
Ed bargy, same guy, also does the novice school at lil tally

To answer your original question I'd wait a lil while until you feel comfortable with all the controls and maneuvering the bike. If you are, go for it. I waited 6 months from the time I ever rode a street bike to do my first td. So much fun.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Yup. Prepare and go. Make sure you have your basic's covered. Especially in terms of gear and preparation. See if Sportbike Track Time also has any track days scheduled near you. They have an excellent novice program that provides on and off-track training.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,551 Posts
Don't wait...just go. You will learn more about the bike and riding than you would on the street by yourself. Just be prepared to never want to ride on the street again haha
This

·
Premium Member
30,463 Posts
asap. and start saving for either track bodywork, or a whole track bike.

it's like living with blowjobs forever, and then you get laid. will you ever be ok with JUST bj's again? HELL NO.

yes, track is like getting laid. :laugh

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
asap. and start saving for either track bodywork, or a whole track bike.

it's like living with blowjobs forever, and then you get laid. will you ever be ok with JUST bj's again? HELL NO.

yes, track is like getting laid. :laugh

Hahaha I like the analogy used here. But thanks for the info everyone.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
i personally waited a whole year till when I bought my bike. I wanted to learn the basics of my motorcycle, becoming so comfortable with it on the street that I wouldn't be scared as fcuk when I hop on the track would bikes zooming by me.

At the end of the day, if you're comfortable with it, go for it. Just like what Scott said, if you can do the basics, then get out there. No specific time frame of when to hit the track.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
Like the tittle says, I'm very new to riding sports bikes and I would like to make out to the track with other noob riders so I can learn more about my bike, the leaning, braking and all of that in a controlled area, I have had the bike for a little over a month and have put around 1500 miles on it. Should I wait a little longer and the go?
as soon as you can make the bike move under its own power is when you're ready for your first track day...

s3aturnr

·
Hey...watch this
574 Posts
Check out the STT forum. You have a very good chance of winning a free first-time track day. But it's worth paying for!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys, the bike ha been at Marrieta Motorsports since mid last week getting serviced a nd a few other other things so I should make the track hopefully soon.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
You could talk to huey when you get your bike. Sometimes they rent out lil tally I think

·
I ride my wife and her R6
101 Posts
YES!

If you're at the point where you can do all the basic operations (throttle, shifting, braking turning) without having to really think about it, I'd say you're good to go for some track time.
YES!

as soon as you can make the bike move under its own power is when you're ready for your first track day...

s3aturnr
And, YES!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts