Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says, I'm curious how long all you guys who ride on the track have been riding. Not just on the track but all together. And how long did it take you to get to the track after starting to ride

·
I AM CORNHOLIO!
418 Posts
rode for about 2 years on the street, then finally got on track. been 12 years now and I'm a Control Rider for a track day org here in the southeast. still ride street occasionally, but not nearly as much.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Been riding since somewhere around September 2002 - so ... fcuk, 13 years now. Been riding track around 5 years? Wish I had the good sense to get to the track much sooner, but then again, I'd probably be bankrupt if I got the addiction in my early 20s.

·
Yamaha 4 Life
514 Posts
I think I rode on the street for a year or two, and when I started riding like a squid and pushing the limits, I hit the track.

Have never looked back and have since sold my street bike and now only ride track.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
I rode street only for 6 years, then street and occasional track days for 6 years, and pretty much track only for the past 3 years.

·
07 Blue R6
222 Posts
I got my bike in Oct 2013. First track day was April 22 2014. My R6 was my first motorcycle and I got it when I was 19. I'm now 20, and I'm finishing my second year at the track and I've spent more money than you could imagine someone my age could. Done about 40 track days or more within these 2 years. After my second track day I've never ridden on the street again. I don't plan on it either. I have a car and that gets me from point A to B just fine.

·
Horsepower Whisperer
617 Posts
I rode for 40 years before the track. Learned more the 1st day at the track than in the previous 40.
Amen.
I got my motorcycle license @ 16 years of age. That was 1981. Rode on the streets for 30 years and nearly 300,000 miles before I ever set foot on the track. So I thought I knew what I was doing.
WRONG!
I've learned more in the last few years on the track than any of those street miles. Now I've gotten so much more confidence when I ride on the street. I've actually worn down a set of footpegs on my big GL1800 now that I know what I'm doing.

So as long as you're somewhat comfortable on a bike, take an advanced riding course to start. Then rack up those track miles. Your street riding will be SOOOO much better.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I bought my first dirtbike in 2004. I rode dirt until until about 2008, picked up a street bike in 2005 and finally made it to the track in 2011 doing just 2 trackdays a year, I needed a track only bike. Now I am knee deep in this shit, using all my vacation to try and make every round.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
Was just curious because I just started riding, but I'm scared to test the limits because I don't know what the bike is capable of lol. I'm still trying to get used to how the bike handles
You need seat time, patience, a level head, and hopefully some good instruction. Then you'll be able to learn a lot. Don't worry about the bike's limits. It's all about your own limits. Right now you'll crash by exceeding your own limit while being nowhere near the bike's limit.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just like the title says, I'm curious how long all you guys who ride on the track have been riding. Not just on the track but all together. And how long did it take you to get to the track after starting to ride
I started riding at 24 years old and started racing less than a year after I got my licence (before I ever did a regular track day) I did taste of racing and the race school. Then a sponsor sent me to the California Superbike School (BEST DECISION EVER!!) where I completely changed my riding and racing ability and also became a coach with them. Now I coach riding and racing.

Was just curious because I just started riding, but I'm scared to test the limits because I don't know what the bike is capable of lol. I'm still trying to get used to how the bike handles
I wouldn't consider track riding as just a place to test the limits but a place where can safely work on your riding skills in order to experiment with the limits in a safer environment. You can choose a riding school as a great place to start your track riding session in a way that is non-intimidating. That way you gain a solid foundation of proper riding skills, how the bike handles, good throttle control etc, so that you can practice good technique at the track day :)

I've been coaching with CSS for 12 years now so please let me know if you have any questions about the school itself or riding skills in general.

Safe riding!!

Misti

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I started riding at 24 years old and started racing less than a year after I got my licence (before I ever did a regular track day) I did taste of racing and the race school. Then a sponsor sent me to the California Superbike School (BEST DECISION EVER!!) where I completely changed my riding and racing ability and also became a coach with them. Now I coach riding and racing.

I wouldn't consider track riding as just a place to test the limits but a place where can safely work on your riding skills in order to experiment with the limits in a safer environment. You can choose a riding school as a great place to start your track riding session in a way that is non-intimidating. That way you gain a solid foundation of proper riding skills, how the bike handles, good throttle control etc, so that you can practice good technique at the track day :)

I've been coaching with CSS for 12 years now so please let me know if you have any questions about the school itself or riding skills in general.

Safe riding!!

Misti
thanks i appreciate it. Ive only been riding for a week now so im nowhere near comfortable enough to start testing the bike's limits. I was just trying to get an ideal for how quickly people typically become better riders. I went the right path, i feel, and took the beginners motorcycle course before i got my license. Definitely glad i did, and have already thought about taking some advanced courses next season if the funds are there

·
Registered
220 Posts
thanks i appreciate it. Ive only been riding for a week now so im nowhere near comfortable enough to start testing the bike's limits. I was just trying to get an ideal for how quickly people typically become better riders. I went the right path, i feel, and took the beginners motorcycle course before i got my license. Definitely glad i did, and have already thought about taking some advanced courses next season if the funds are there
Great! I would highly advocate continuing with taking riding courses and learning to be the best and most competent rider you can be...might just save your life one day.

Misti

·
Registered
6 Posts
I grew up riding dirt bikes but I didn't start riding street bikes until I was a little older. I probably rode the street for about two years before I went to the track. All I can say is I wish I went to the track when I was a lot younger. It is such a blast. After going to the track twice I sold my bike and bought a dedicated track bike and have not looked back. I don't ride on the street at all anymore. I have learned more on the track than I ever did on the street. I highly recommend trying the track it is so much fun.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts