Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, how many miles do you think you could wring out of an R6 before its time to put it in the ground... assuming that its well maintained and not stunted/raced? Most of the bikes I see are under 20k, but there have to be some road-eaters out there with more.

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
I had been curious about this the day I bought my 6.

If the average miles you can get out of them is 20k at the least..then i guess I need to ease up on mine. I might hold off on using her as my commuter! Any one gotten over 20k on their bikes? Not just an R6, but other bikes you ever had?

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
20k seems low if you actually take care of your bike to me. i mean its just a small car motor. well i guess ill find out by ridin mine till it quits. :cheers

·
Registered
953 Posts
i hope you guys are shitting me, 20k? why is it so low? i just got mine and put 1k on it, in less then two weeks. i saw a picture of a 2k r6 with 60k miles on it, could have been photoshoped though.

·
Registered
953 Posts
5,000 miles left on bike to 20k miles
devided by
20miles a day (to work and back
=
250 days left...

and 20 miles a day is if i go to work and back and no where else. i usually go 50 miles a day. fuuuuuuuuuuuuck :cuss :cuss

·
Registered
76 Posts
For a bike 20k is alot ! I had 26k on my ZX900 when i sold last year,but it was a 1995. I started having alot of problems with it (mostly the carbs)

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
It has to go well over 20k! I suppose if you really maintain and take care of it. I myself would be closing down on 20k by end of this 2004 season with the rate I pile mileage on my bike. :cuss Man, once I got started riding.....i can't help but to feed this addiction! It made it more worth while since it is the R6!!

OK, ok, after much contemplation on this subject. I decided to check with the R6 manual and flipped to pages 9-5 & 9-6 "Maintenance Record" table and YES! Our bikes CAN! and will be able to go up to 40k!! :cheers As long as we follow the maintenance schedule & take care of our baby!!

NO WORRIES HERE NOW! YEA!

·
Registered
112 Posts
A good friend of mine got rid of his 89 Yamaha FJ1200 when he bought his 2000 R1. It had over 70k miles on it. The guy who bought it had the carbs synced and the lifters adjusted and is still driving it. Provided you take care of the bike and keep an eye on your tranny, I dont see any reason why our R6's wont last.

Rubber side down!

·
Registered
953 Posts
feed the addiction... yeah... i know.... must ride......

:worship

i have about 2.5 years left on my bike then. if it can go to 40k miles. i'll probably plan on getting a 05 when it comes out. but then again i'm a fan of just buying used and letting someone else drive the bike off the lot and loose a couple grand. so i can buy it cheaper

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
I will second that! "feed the need baby!" :flame

We....will ...follow...........almighty.........R6!
:bow :worship :bow

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that the R6 belongs in the garage... I fully intent to ride mine like a bad-monkey until it drops :twisted:

I was just pointing out that every bike I hear about or see advertised always seems to have fewer than 20k on the clock... even the bikes that are decades old... I'm not by any means suggesting that that's all a bike can do. One fella I know got 70,000 miles out of a Suzuki GS500, then he wrecked it, savlaged it, and is STILL riding it... so there are bikes out there that will last that long, but my perception is that there aren't that many bikes that make it that far.

·
Registered
953 Posts
vtlion said:
don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that the R6 belongs in the garage... I fully intent to ride mine like a bad-monkey until it drops :twisted:

I was just pointing out that every bike I hear about or see advertised always seems to have fewer than 20k on the clock... even the bikes that are decades old... I'm not by any means suggesting that that's all a bike can do. One fella I know got 70,000 miles out of a Suzuki GS500, then he wrecked it, savlaged it, and is STILL riding it... so there are bikes out there that will last that long, but my perception is that there aren't that many bikes that make it that far.
i know a lot of people that get bikes expecially R1s get scared after they buy it and stop riding. some think they will get laid more if they drive to bar in one and get pissed off when they still suck, some just have one as a second vehicle. the ones with high miles are the ones that people bought intending to ride, and love to ride. so they have no reason to sell it.

i think the ones with low miles for sell are mostly just people that have them as second vehicles and can afford to spend $6k to get a new bike every year.

that's what i think. :hump

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
Thanks you guys, boy that was a relief to hear that there are alot out there that were able to pile the mileage past 50k+. :cheers

I am basically a newbie in riding (got my license & bike last year w/ no experience whatsoever) but I am starting to learn more as I ride along.

*whew* cool that's I do not have to restrict my riding and mileage this year soon as summer kicks in!

Let the riding begin!

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
loki1313 said:
ahhhhhhh i just got done feeding the need today and dam does it feel oh so good. YEA!
Same here, took a quick ride tonight and chilled for a few at starbucks.
Enjoyed the mid-50's under the moonlight. And don't worry, I thought of all you guys that are in the white dirt regions! :cheers

·
max speed
242 Posts
I rode my friends 99 R6 that had 23k miles on it and it ran strong. He replaced the cam gear tensioner and that was it. Didn't even have any shifting problems. The previous owner even used it for a race bike. Just keep it serviced and you should have no problems :cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah I'd have to say that as long as the bike is cared for there is no reason it shouldn't last a really long time. My previous bike (my starter/learner) was an '82 Honda Nighthawk 650 ($300 bucks) that had 22K on it, and I put another 2k it. The only thing I did to it was replace the battery, sparkplugs, and oil b/c the previous owner was a putz and hadn't changed the oil in 9k miles. However the bike still ran pretty strong, and still does ( I use it to teach freinds how to ride). So even with a little abuse they should last a long time. Granted the R6 is a much higher revving machine than a nighthawk, but still it should last for a while.

·
Registered
995 Posts
any new bike will do over 100K if looked after,there r pre 2nd world war bikes riding around all the time that have gone round the clock

·
Registered
419 Posts
The first scheduled valve adjustment is at 20k on the 03 R6. I hope that after you get the valves adjusted that the bike runs a sight longer than 2k more.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I know a few people that have bikes over 70k..one has a 94 1100
gsxr..other guy has a fzr 1000 that has over 100,000 miles on it. he
rides from san francisco to new york twice a year.. oh..btw..people
have been telling me that 2000 r6's valves need to be adjusted at
16,000 miles.. But if you look in the manual, it says you can wait to
adjust till 26,000 miles. Anyone know whos correct?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts