Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

We have had some customers ask about getting these.

Just wanted to see what everyone's opinion is.?

Do you have one currently.?
or
Do you plan on getting one.?

If you have one, what brand.? and how do you mount it.?

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
I have a passport 8500 in my car and it has saved my ass multiple times. Granted with any radar if they are sitting there shooting (instant on) then you are screwed either way but I do plan on getting the built in ones for my R6 when I get some extra cash... possibly over the winter.

·
scared of big tracks
8,491 Posts
I recently rode with a guy that had a passport mounted on the triple tree. Forgot which mount he used. Personally I don't see a need for one on a bike. I'm not worried about a regular speeding ticket, and if I'm driving wrecklessly (over 40mph over the speed limit) then even a radar detector probably won't help me.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have a 9500 ix in my car, that I plan to put on my bike once I buy the proper mounting equipment.

Many many times it has saved me miles ahead of there being a cop. It also has reminded me of the speed cameras on the highway here in AZ.

·
One Cheek On The Seat!
858 Posts
I have a 9500ix that I switch between both my cars. I have a hard time driving without it both for the radar aspect and redlight camera reminders. Would like to put it on the bike if I could find a good way to mount it and hear/see it. I do have a GPR damper so a triple tree mount wouldn't work.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I live in the only freaking state where they are against the law!

<-----------------------------

·
^^^ Ginger here...
386 Posts
I live in VA too. I run one in all my vehicles except for the bike. If you get caught with one, it's just an improper equipment ticket. IE ticket < speeding ticket any day. Here, if you’re caught 6+mph over, you're getting a ticket. Detectors definitely give you a heads up to slow down....Or at least alert you that the cops are onto you.

I wish a company would build one for bikes though, one that is hidden from view with a small speaker and LED inside the helmet to alert the rider.

·
Read Only
1,581 Posts
Lol.
You get a citation for that crap in KY now. If your caught speeding with one, they can cite you for intent to evade police or something. If they see it on your bike, they can nail you for intent to speed or something. Lol
My buddy is an officer here in Louisville and told me about it, but I cannot remember what the actual charges are.
Radar is dumb. Because you only use it if you are going to speed...
Funny shit though.

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
I think on a bike it wouldn't really help. IMO

I have one on my car and it's great but if you really don't want tickets just drive smart, some people get detector's and think they are invisible.

·
^^^ Ginger here...
386 Posts
I think on a bike it wouldn't really help. IMO

I have one on my car and it's great but if you really don't want tickets just drive smart, some people get detector's and think they are invisible.
I agree. They are definitely not a license to speed. Mine has saved me a lot though traveling from VA Beach, VA to Dallas, TX. I made it in 20.5 hours in my stealth one time, not to shabby for 1401 miles!

But yeah, I don’t speed on the regular. I just still run one for when the highway is open and 55pmh just won’t do.
!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts