1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know a guy with a gixxer who got like a 65 on the back

It looks like a frisbee

Thanks for the info...

·
Registered
829 Posts
You should drop either 1 in front or go up three in the rear. It changes the final drive ratio close to the same. The front sproket will run abour $30 and the rear about $50 with shipping.

G

·
It seems everything in life has a cost, at least when comes to Physics, sooo . . . :arrow: What's the real cost of dropping a tooth up front, (and for that matter, what is the gain?)? I imagine with the gear ratio change you get higher torque, but what other performance aspects does this affect?

Tim

(No cool signature yet . . .) :jump

·
Registered
57 Posts
tfarrell said:
What's the real cost of dropping a tooth up front, (and for that matter, what is the gain?)? I imagine with the gear ratio change you get higher torque, but what other performance aspects does this affect?Tim
(No cool signature yet . . .) :jump
The gain is quickness out of the hole, and an easier ability to get the front wheel up; the price is a few ticks off the top end, and your speedo being more off than it already is...maybe lower fuel mileage at highway speeds, because you'll be turning more R's...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK

My bike (2001) has a 530 chain 16 tooth sprocket up front and 48 tooth out back, i think...

Questions for yall

If I am going to change out both front and rear sprockets I might as well change the chain too.

How long (# of links) of a chain do I need??

If I am going to change both sprockets and the chain, I might as well go to a 520 set up...agree or no??

Is there anything else you need to do to switch to a 520 besides both sprockets and the chain?

Is there any clearance issue with the larger chain??

I used to think that a 520 was unneeded, but now it seems that if you are changig these three items, you might as well go to a larger chain.

Has anyone else done this conversion???

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
jasamb........520 chain is smaller (narrower). The big gain is the weight cut. I've heard of a few guys losing 4 to 5 pounds from going to 520 sprockets and chain. Which will give you more ponies at the wheel also.

The 03 can't even pull 6th gear redline with the stock gearing. Going one tooth down on the front will get you the redline, you're going to be quicker and able to pull more R's..so the loss of MPH is going to be minimal. Now with one down gearing using a 520 chain and sprockets, you are going to be losing very little speed i bet due to the gained RPM's and now much lighter weight getting more horse to the ground. I need to buy a damn dyno!

Just shit to think about :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gotcha redline

I thought lower numbers meant bigger chain (like steel guage) don't know why I thought that, but thanks for clearing it up.

Is there any negative aspect of going down to a smaller chain?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I can't think of anything. If you do alot of drag racing and lots of hard launches keep it stock, but i've never seen a guy have a problem with a 520. Just replace the chain every 10,000 to be safe and you're good.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Allright Redline one more...

Would you recommend Tsubaki or DID??

(for the chain)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Allright Redline one more...

Would you recommend Tsubaki or DID??

(for the chain)

**Anybody else's input is welcome here too...**

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also...stock chain is 116 links (530 chain), will the new chain be the same length with the following changes:

Front sprocket will be one tooth smaller (15 down from stock 16)
Rear Sprocket will be two teeth bigger (50 up from 48)
Chain will be smaller (520 down from stock 532)

:stupic

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Go with DID. Make sure to get the Rivet master link style. You'll need a chain breaker, and chain riviter to size the chain as needed. About $100 worth of tools, but nice to have.

oh yeah, buy a Yellowbox if you want you're mileage/mph to record properly. They sell from blackrobotics for $100.

Now i'm gettin anxious, this is on my winter list of to do's :mrgreen:
Don't know how the hell i'm gonna afford snowmobiling this winter :roll:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I actually ordered over the weekend.

I did get the DID--the 520 gold link one

15 front
50 rear
both from Sprocket Specialties

I ordered the clip type of chain link, though. I have worked with that type of link before and I know that they hold up under some pretty extreme situations.

It is coming middle of next week and I'l;l probably do the work over the following weekend.

I'll let you know how it goes...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yellowbox, that sounds like $110 I can spend on performance parts...

I think I'll just unplug the damn speedo, that way i wont be confused. If i'm not mistaken, the correct speed for any situation is...AS FAST AS YOU CAN POSSIBLY GO!!!!!

:twisted:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Ok, well, with the chain, just keep an eye on it. You are right that it should be fine, but i just can't let myself use one with the thought of the chain flying apart and locking up the wheel or driveshaft and blowing the tranny apart or something :poke

Try and weigh the new vs. old and let us know the difference :mrgreen:

And good point with the yellowbox :hammer

1 - 20 of 22 Posts