Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Raven got its makeover
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO i've been to the track a few times just to watch and get the feel for everything and talk to people and just kinda get in the scene and figure out all the kinks. Learn about the tickets some riders may give away and the memberships and groups that rent out a track. What gear you need for what and when, and about the moderators that ride along and getting adavnced from beginer and so on.

I just got down DREAMING HAHA, looking at alpinestars 1pc suits and boots and gloves. WHEW, looks like about 1500 to 1700 and thats not getting a helmet just for the track :) is this about what you all spend.

Suit $999.95

Gloves $199.95

Boots $199.95

all prices came from sportbiketrackgear.com

·
Raven got its makeover
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dont buy those gloves dude...
read my thread here..
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65834

and i have a $300 teknic suit
$280 held phantom gloves
$165 sidi boots (bought off a member here...i think it was 165)
$280 icon helmet
Thanks for the info man. I was just looking at getting the gear this year and maybe hitting a track or two before winter and getting into it next year full speed so its time to start looking ya know :popcorn:

·
Raven got its makeover
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about the icon merc long gloves? I had the Icon persuit gloves and they were awesome, after about a year the black leather started to change colors cause they had been weathered from a few rainy rides(started to tint red) but as far as quality and stiching they were great.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Thanks for the info man. I was just looking at getting the gear this year and maybe hitting a track or two before winter and getting into it next year full speed so its time to start looking ya know :popcorn:
Dude, I have 20k miles under my belt, and the few hundred I got on the track were the most fun of all. Don't procrastinate!

·
my R6 ate a bus
1,010 Posts
+1 to getting gear during winter. Thats how i got my RC-1 suit so cheap.

$600 A* RC-1 2piece gry/blk suit
$300 Sidi Vertigo Corsa boots
$165 A* GP tech gloves

Still need to get:
Back/chest protector
underarmour or some form of clothing underneath
a bike ........:lmao
and couple other misc things

·
$4 a gal. 4 gal. a shot
933 Posts
My current gear
Same Shoei RF1000 I wear on the street $330
AGV gloves, can't remember the model but they are the race style, metal knuckle protectors. Closeout from Dennis Kirk $30 yellow only, glad I have a 50th An. model :)
Suit Teknic from a board member, lightly used $150
Boots A*'s SMX-3 had them a long time probably a little over $200.

The closeout sections on Dennis Kirk and Newenough have great deals if you keep looking often.

·
Raven got its makeover
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^^HAHA word mfrank. I tell ya the few times i have been to the track i was in heaven just watching them go around and around. I wanted so bad to get out there but was on vacation the two times i was there and didnt have the 6 with me. Im in Maryland now and plan to get out to the tracks ive seen in the area.

·
www.1seven1.com
2,063 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with these guys: http://newenough.com/

I spent:
Suit: $800 (with spine protector)
Boots: $200
Gloves: $125
Under-leathers stuff (maybe $100)

The suit and boots have lasted two seasons with a little repair and care. My gloves get pretty hammered after a season. I buy a new helmet every season.

If you think track gear is expensive, wait 'til you start buying tires! I burned up 3 sets of Pilot Race last weekend.

-D

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
if you only plan on doing one or two track days this year.... you can always rent the leathers and back protector for around $65. and use the time from now to next season to save for a nice set of leathers...... thats what i'm doing.

·
Registered
160 Posts
$400 - Jacket icon retro daytona (daily commute)
$300 - Icon airframe claymore slayer helmet (daily commute)
$90 - Alpinestars SP-X gloves (summer)
$240 - Alpinestars GP Tech gloves (Track)
$300 - Alpinestars S-MX plus boots (daily commute + track)
$200 - Fieldsheer B 5 leather pants (daily commute)
$150 - Chrome Messenger bag (metropolitan - daily commute/carry groceries/guns/drugs/whatever)

= $1680... but can't skimp on the gears. That's all you got if you go down.

gonna buy a suit (Dainese - $999) and another helmet for track, probably Arai Quantum II ($450 or cheaper) next year. that and Knox body armor and underwear thingy.

The Icon TI-Max glove that came out a generation before (the mad max glove) is the glove that I like. It's just so bad ass with lots of Ti to protect all your knockles and beads on your palm. Heard it sparks though when sliding.

·
Hey Guy
5,290 Posts
Go cheap on everything else, just dont chince out on gear. Its your roll cage, seat belts and airbags. Im saving to buy this winter. I live in So Cal, so we run all year. Right now, im rockin:
A*'s GP Plus Jacket
A*'s SP-X Gloves
Icon Airframe

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
Hey Adrenaline Rush, I live in South Eastern PA as well, where's the closest track to us?
harleysville...... i grew up there on old forty foot rd. right by the landsdale turnpike. i moved to Quakertown about 5 years ago. i also work in harleysville right off of sumneytown pike between the branch creek church and hennings super market.

i'll be posting about my first track day prob tomorrow, but i just went to pocono with team pro-motion this past friday. it only took me 1 hour to get there. i belive thats the closest.

·
Do Work!
999 Posts
Curious as to why you guys have a seperate helmet for track.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
harleysville...... i grew up there on old forty foot rd. right by the landsdale turnpike. i moved to Quakertown about 5 years ago. i also work in harleysville right off of sumneytown pike between the branch creek church and hennings super market.

i'll be posting about my first track day prob tomorrow, but i just went to pocono with team pro-motion this past friday. it only took me 1 hour to get there. i belive thats the closest.
Awesome! I live in that Mainland Ridge development right next to the Hennings shopping center and a 3 min walk (through a neighbors yard) to Branch Creek. Do you have a web site for that track? Or a phone number? I really wanna go.

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
here is my current track gear setup. (prices are what i paid)
Shark RSI w/ mirror shield $350

A* GP plus gloves $125 (replacing w/ Held Phantoms when i get the dough)

TCX Competizione S boots $275

Joe Rocket Speedmaster suit w/ Barnacle Bill speed hump and extended crotch panel $750 (bought lightly used and had it altered a bit)

i recommend staying away from boots w/o a good ankle support system like the A* boots u posted, broken/hyper extended ankles will put u out for a while.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Alpinestars S-MX plus boots?

·
www.1seven1.com
2,063 Posts
Curious as to why you guys have a seperate helmet for track.
I like my helmet pretty tight on the track (the way they should REALLY fit, actually). I can't stand a helmet that tight on the street. 100 degree day, tight helmet, 5 stoplights .... AAARGH! :D

Also, racing tech is pretty strict on what they pass. A helmet with a chip is fine for street in my book, but it may not pass tech.

-D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts