Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shopping for a new (to me) track bike for next year and the R6 is certainly on my list. Most likely the 08 is going to be more than I want to spend so how big of a difference is there between the 06 and 08?

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
The '08 has better mid-range due to the ECU controlled velocity stacks. There's some other little stuff, but that's the one real major difference.

Are you just looking to do track days, or do you think you'll eventually be looking to race competitively? If it's the latter, I'd save my pennies for the '08.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The '08 has better mid-range due to the ECU controlled velocity stacks. There's some other little stuff, but that's the one real major difference.

Are you just looking to do track days, or do you think you'll eventually be looking to race competitively? If it's the latter, I'd save my pennies for the '08.
I'll mostly just be doing track days with possibly two or three WERA races a year. I did two WERA races this year but I was far from competitive. I will probably be doing around 20 track days next season.

I currently have my 04 CBR600RR up for sale. I'm upgrading to a newer bike and I'm mainly looking at the R6 and an 07 ZX6R.

·
wat?
722 Posts
I would get the 08 just because there are a variety of little differences. While none of those are groundbreaking, especially for anyone who isn't a front running expert racer, it does mean that there are a variety of parts that are different.

Keep in mind that there were only two years of the 06-07, but 08+ has been going for seven years and they keep cranking them out. Spares for the former will start to dry up before spares for the latter do. Most stuff is still interchangeable, but you end up with some frankenstein results.

If you get a screaming deal on an 06-07, I wouldn't pass it up to pay several thousand more for an 08+... but prices on 08-09 especially have dropped far enough that they are just about bottomed out and it makes it harder to justify an 06-07 imo.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
I wouldn't even consider a '06-07 at this point. '08/09's can be had for hardly much more than a 06-07.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
As a recently new owner of an '07, I'd say stick with the 08+.

As stated above, there aren't any groundbreaking differences, but a lot of little things add up to a better bike. The only big issues with parts are the forks/triples/gas tank/subframe/bodywork. All of those are different, but can be swapped from model to model with some/little/no work/time/money. Another issue mentiond above is that if you stick with the 06-07 parts, you will likely have a harder time finding them. Obviously a few things drop off the list with a trackbike.

If you ever plan on racing, the 08+ is going to be a better bike. You can upgrade nearly everything to the 08+, but that will technically take you out of the supersport class (depending on the org).

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
I'll mostly just be doing track days with possibly two or three WERA races a year. I did two WERA races this year but I was far from competitive. I will probably be doing around 20 track days next season.

I currently have my 04 CBR600RR up for sale. I'm upgrading to a newer bike and I'm mainly looking at the R6 and an 07 ZX6R.

I saw that for sale a week or so ago on facebook.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw that for sale a week or so ago on facebook.
Yep, I have it listed in a few places.

Thanks for the information everyone, I appreciate it. My price range for a track bike is going to be around $5,000 so it makes it tough to buy an 08+. I did find an 08 for sale at a local shop for $4,400 out the door. The bike has 8,000 miles on it. The problem is that once I get it I will still need to spend a good chunk of change on it getting it ready for the track.

Decisions, decisions.....

·
Pobrecitos
19,910 Posts
Yep, I have it listed in a few places.

Thanks for the information everyone, I appreciate it. My price range for a track bike is going to be around $5,000 so it makes it tough to buy an 08+. I did find an 08 for sale at a local shop for $4,400 out the door. The bike has 8,000 miles on it. The problem is that once I get it I will still need to spend a good chunk of change on it getting it ready for the track.

Decisions, decisions.....
What's to get ready? Just tape up the lights and wheel weights and you're golden...:laugh.jk Unless you're racing, there's not much to it...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What's to get ready? Just tape up the lights and wheel weights and you're golden...:laugh.jk Unless you're racing, there's not much to it...
I will be doing some racing. I would also like to upgrade the suspension and the rearsets at the minimum.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I’d go for the 08+
I felt a difference between my friends 06 and my 09 in terms of midrange punch.

Also, you have a 04 CBR600RR which is pretty similar to the 05-06 600RR (minus the inverted forks).
So if you get a 06-07 R6, you are getting something that’s in the same class as the 04-06 600RR so what’s the point in upgrading?
Might as go for the next generation of Supersports i.e. 08+ R6 or 07+ 600RR.

Finally, if you are like me, you may feel a slight regret down the road by not going for the latest version (a bit of buyer’s remorse if you will)

·
wat?
722 Posts
Keep an eye out on the WERA forums. With season ending and winter coming, lots of people end up dumping prepped bikes. It's a good time to buy in coming months (albeit a bad time to sell your current bike).

Though $4,400 for an 08 with 8k miles sounds pretty good if it hasn't been crashed... you can get rearsets and suspension set to your weight within your price range, and then upgrade later as you go.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate all of the information. I ended up going for an 09 ZX6R.

Here is the list of goodies on the bike.

• Ohlins 25mil cartridge kit
• Elka triple clicker rear shock
• Ohlins steering damper (oem body but has been revalved with race internals)
• Leo Vince Full SS Exhaust System
• GB case covers
• Woodcraft Frame sliders
• Woodcraft Clip Ons
• Vortex Rearsets
• 520 chain and sprockets
• Motion Pro revolver throttle
• Power Commander V
• Armour Bodies Race bodywork with D-zus fasteners
• CRG race brake and clutch levers
• Tech Spec tank pads
• SS brake lines
• Vesrah brake pads
• Keyless Ignition
• Puig Race windscreen
• Keyless gas cap

·
Registered
55 Posts
Amazing deal! The bike looks great.
Never rode the 09 ZX6R but I hear the motors on them are incredibly strong.
The suspension is the weak point but looks like that's been taken care of on that bike!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts