Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed to change the coolant in my bike recently, and from what I've read on here, it was a good choice. Especially since I live in Florida and it doesn't really get to freezing temperatures much.

So I did the swap. Drained the old coolant, flushed it with water, then ran distilled water + the correct amount of waterwetter. The first two days it ran great. But today it started to get hotter a lot faster when stopped. It cooled down somewhat when moving, but not as much as it should have. Has anyone else experienced this before? Any tips would be appreciated!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would think it may work better when added to the regular coolant. I've added it to my dirtbikes and quads. My dirtbike has Engine Ice as the coolant. Haven't been able to really tell a difference without a gauge. When time comes to change it in the R6, I plan to put in Engine Ice and will put in water wetter also, then will be able to see a change on the gauge, if any.

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
I use it. It works fine. I don't notice any real change in temp though. I will have to mix some coolant in it when winter comes. Something you FL and CA boys don't need to worry about.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
the temp guage does seem to climb way faster with water wetter and water only.
that could be to it displacing heat at a faster rate than coolant does. which is it's intended purpose.

as I'm riding, I don't see a dramatic decrease or increase over normal coolant temps.
I think I noticed a significant drop in temps at the track when I use it and 20w oil. it was a pretty hot day, and from what I remember from a previous day of about the same air temps, the engine temps this time were a little cooler. and the bike was more responsive. of course, the humidity levels were on opposite ends of the spectrum. humidity will rob HP and it's harder to cool.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I'll mix some coolant in there. So long as it's safe for aluminum I suppose. We'll see if it's helpful at all.

·
Likes Long Rsex with his
216 Posts
i run dexcool, water wetter, and distilled water

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess if the thermostat is measuring the temperature of the actual coolant, it would make sense that it gets hotter quicker because it's drawing more heat from the engine. I'm just not used to having the temps change so quickly. But it seems to be more stable now.

·
08 R6 SuperStreet
179 Posts
I dont know about the bike side but ive always run wetter water and water to battle texas heat. plan on doing it to the bike during my first oilchange.

But maybe bikes use the coolant for some kind of other properties.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
i run dexcool, water wetter, and distilled water
NOOO! bad idea, you might want to get the dexcool out asap. it isn't meant for your bike. and isn't worth a crap.

in fact, GM is currently being sued because the dexcool coolant has been shown to "eat" the gaskets away.
http://www.dexcoolsettlement.com/

what made you use that stuff anyway? it's only for GM vehicles. go visit a web forum for any GM truck or car, you will find everyone suggest getting that coolant out for regular green coolant.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts