Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Rush Hour Riders
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how much riding experince most people have before trying their first track day. How advanced is the Beginners class?

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
I had about 40,000 miles and 2 1/2 years of experience before my first trackday. However, there are many people who go within the first year and they have no problems whatsoever.

The beginners class is usually subdivided into groups of fairly equal experience/confidence. There will be subgroups of people who are ready to move up to the Intermediate group and there will be subgroups of people who have never been to a track before.

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
I had 10,000 miles on the R6 before I took it to the track and about 25,000 miles in total street miles before I went to the track. I wish I would have taken the a bike to the track sooner than I did.

There is always people that are really new to riding in the beginners group and you will learn so much by attending a trackday.

·
I m starting to eat my R6
790 Posts
going to my 1st track day in 2 weeks... was riding may-oct last year got 4500 miles

my r6s is my 1st ever bike

honestly, i dont feel 100% confident in the curves... still catch myself fixating on a target and/or looking wrong way but i know what i am doing wrong... hope at the track, i would be able to concentrate on proper riding and not to worry about what's around me (i mean cagers, road imperfections, etc.) so at my 1st track day i expect to be the most "green" beginner that day... i dont mind as long as i learn :)

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
From what I have gathered your first track day is a great learning experience not only for track specific riding but for street techniques as well. I still havent been on a track, but I am planning on it in May. I have about 2 and a half years street experience and 6 years dirt experience.

·
Rush Hour Riders
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have a little over 5000 miles in and I really want to do a track day but I'm debating on trying it because I know my riding skills need alot of improvement.

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
Depending on what a lot of improvment means I would say try it. 5000 miles is decent experience if you have some twisties and canyon road experience. A track day should make you a lot more comfortable on the street anyway.

·
R64LIFE
283 Posts
I think a track day would do you nothing but good no matter your experience. I was nervous going to my first track day thinking i would look like a total noob but when i got there went around a few times, man i tell ya it was friggin amazing what you can do on those bikes. It also made me comfortable on the street knowing what the bike can do. I'm by no means the best but its a must for any sportbike owner

·
790 Posts
I think a track day would do you nothing but good no matter your experience. I was nervous going to my first track day thinking i would look like a total noob but when i got there went around a few times, man i tell ya it was friggin amazing what you can do on those bikes. It also made me comfortable on the street knowing what the bike can do. I'm by no means the best but its a must for any sportbike owner
yeahhhh :toocool:
exactly my goal :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
My first one is coming up as well, i am on my 3rd season and feel really well on street and hanging off, but at the same time I dont want to be holding people up on the track making me nervous. I assume the the field will open up between riders of the beginner class so everybody has room???

·
790 Posts
My first one is coming up as well, i am on my 3rd season and feel really well on street and hanging off, but at the same time I dont want to be holding people up on the track making me nervous. I assume the the field will open up between riders of the beginner class so everybody has room???
we'll see who's gonna be behind :jump

·
Registered
100 Posts
I say get on the track. If you got 5000 miles that's more than enough. I would recommend that once you get the basics down, it's time to take a track day. There's no better place to learn than a controlled environment like the track. Don't get me wrong it's not totally controlled but you don't have to worried about cages pulling out in front of you or the police pulling you over, just concentrate on riding. You will be blown away by just how much you will learn and by how much you riding techniques will improve just after one track day.

·
I like ice cream!
1,350 Posts
I went to my first track day my first year of riding with about 2500 miles under my belt. I was as nervous as the next newb to the track it was quite overwelming in the morning. Show up preapred and your good to go. My advice is go early, go often.

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have a little over 5000 miles in and I really want to do a track day but I'm debating on trying it because I know my riding skills need alot of improvement.
I learned more from my first track day than I did in my entire first year of riding.

·
R64LIFE
283 Posts
Don't even worry about the people behind you...tape over your speedo and forget about everything except whats in front of you. Don't watch what the guy in front is doing though as he might not know what he's doing lol. It's up to the person behind you to get around YOU not for you to be worried about him getting around you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I recommend any of the organizations with novice schools, its a bit steep on the price but well worth it. Following the control riders can teach you a lot about riding and when I went with Fastrack they would ride ahead of you and behind you then tell you your strengths and weaknesses off the track.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey man, I got my first bike having ridden a Sportbike only once before for a couple hours. I still ride that same first bike, an 03 R6 and I took it too the track after about 1800 miles of street riding, and thats lifetime total lol. My first time I went for two days, saturday and sunday and by the end of sunday I had wholes in the toes of my boots and had went through my very first set of knee sliders. My first lap the coach let me get it moving a bit was the first time I ever got my knee down. Now, don't get me wrong, you don't have to do that when you first go to the track and most people don't. All you have to do is ride in your comfort level and listen to the coaches and you will have a BLAST!! The begginner group will have lots of people who are learning and aren't very quick which is just fine, its an excellent learning experience and what you learn is extremely valuable. Oh, you might find yourself spending a little money hitting the track after you go the first time, it gets addictive.

Anyway, to sum it up here is what I feel is most important, in order of importance...

A. DON'T ride outside of your comfort zone.

B. Listen to what the coaches teach you, and;

c. Don't get frustrated when someone flys by you on the outside of a turn, and don't try to keep up until your ready.

Get yourself on a track and you will LOVE IT!!!

·
MITICO
437 Posts
I've got about 5-8000 KM worth of riding experience in Italy (mountain riding w/ guys who drag knees on public mountain roads who've all riden ahead / behind me and have worked on giving me pointers) plus 3000 miles on my first 600 bike & trying to get my act together for my first track day this summer in the poconos

I keep finding myself trying to push corners around on public roads and I KNOW that's the wrong way to go about it, just the price tags of suits & track days have got me weary

·
Will Race for Food
136 Posts
I was wondering how much riding experince most people have before trying their first track day. How advanced is the Beginners class?
I'm one of the instructors for Team Promotion and I sometimes teach ART Basic (advanced rider training basic). There is a pretty wide range of abilities in the basic class. I would say you want to have a decent idea of how to ride a motorcycle on the street. You wouldn't want to come out of your MSF Basic class, get your license and hit the track but you also don't need 100K miles logged either. I would say as long as you are comfortable on your motorcycle and feel pretty comfortable turning the bike where you have some left over attention to learn technique, go for it.

Z

1 - 20 of 27 Posts