Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
My R6 eats V8s, even mine
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never done a wheelie, and I never want to. I'm pretty confident that the front will lift if I crank it in 1st gear, but what about shifting into second? Can I fully open the throttle going into 2nd gear without wheelieing or does the R6 still overpower it? I know Liter bikes will do it in a blink, but will an R6? TIA everyone.

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
it will if you do things just right. I did it a couple of times shifting into second while getting on it a little harder than usual and running near redline. After I did the 520 -1 +2 thing I had it come up in third once. I think I hit a small bump at the same time I shifted and she came up and settled back down after about a hundred feet. There is nothing to worry about if it does come up on you, just let off the throttle a little and it will come back down.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Its really dependant on your own body weight and your body positioning during hard accel. If you are north of 200, you might not be able to get it to come up on 1-2 shift with a stock bike. Sprocketing is a whole different matter. If you also practice proper form and hunker down when you hammer it, it shouldnt do much more than lift slightly and skim the ground. Id imagine if you are a small guy, things might be a little more hard to control. Having some meat on your bones enables you to really power things and literally force the bike down with your body.

Essentially, it wont go any higher on a shift than it would in 1st gear full throttle. Theres no reason to be scared shifting. Just be scared if you see-saw that throttle in first. You really need to learn how to hear and feel the bike as well during low gear accel, because you dont want to take your eyes off the road to look at the tach when the bike is coming up.

Lastly, make sure you are preloading the shifter. A sloppy/fast shift that misshifts can cause you to pop back into 1st, and if you hammer it thinking you are in second, the front end will pop up in a heart beat as you are near redline. Good luck.

·
Atom Smasher
862 Posts
^^^+1. I am around 220 and the front will float about 1/2 an inch at wide open throttle around redline in first, second & third. But that is at a track on track days, I haven't done this on the street. So if you aren't riding around pretending the street is your own personal race track, I wouldn't worry about bringing the front up.

·
My R6 eats V8s, even mine
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks a lot everyone! i appreciate the replys! yea i'm 180 lbs and didn't really get the bike to race (mainly for looks. that's why i didn't get an R1). however, my father just got a '06 Warrior and is modifying it. when we ride together, he likes to use all his torque to his advantage and try to lose me on the straights haha. so, i was just just wondering if i will or will not wheelie going into second to keep up with him. the last thing i want to do is endanger my life and those around me. i swear, that Warrior is like a kick in the kidneys every time a cylinder fires at WOT lol. it's so quick. thanks again everyone!

·
It's a lifestyle
155 Posts
I'm just over 135, if I roll the throttle in first I might only get a few inches (the floating front end feel) and if I snap 2nd the front comes up a few good inches. After its happened a few times you get the feel for it and not only are you expecting it but you understand what you need to do while its happening.

Be safe!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I wish i could try doing what you guys do as well. But i'm too scared for cops to see me overaccelerating and lifting up the front wheel. cops can give you tickets for popping wheelies right?

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
jeff_o said:
I wish i could try doing what you guys do as well. But i'm too scared for cops to see me overaccelerating and lifting up the front wheel. cops can give you tickets for popping wheelies right?
More like they can take you to jail!

·
R6 Symbient Organism
414 Posts
yeah but if you don't break the speed limit you are just getting up to speed right?
If you take 1st to redline, you are most likely speeding
If you take 2nd to redline, you are definately speeding.
Cop isn't gonna care if your front comes up or not. That rev, will get his attention and your speed will motivate him to flag you down.
Unless you're playing games with the clutch, you really don't have to worry about a ticket for a wheelie cuz if yer bringin up the front from hard acceleration, yer gettin one for speeding

·
Registered
308 Posts
Less time on the net & more time on the bike is the best answer for ya. Ya can't get all these scenarios from other people & then just assume you'll be safe.
Ya gotta get out there & try a few things yourself in small steps.
I've tought a few race schools to novices & the main thing is that I let them know they can push-it, just a litlle at a time. & really there are lots of isolated roads where people can do the same thing & be realatively safe.
Use your head, observe, pay attention, repeat, faster & harder.
My $.02

·
Zombies may bite!!!!
1,182 Posts
K-9 said:
Less time on the net & more time on the bike is the best answer for ya. Ya can't get all these scenarios from other people & then just assume you'll be safe.
Ya gotta get out there & try a few things yourself in small steps.
I've tought a few race schools to novices & the main thing is that I let them know they can push-it, just a litlle at a time. & really there are lots of isolated roads where people can do the same thing & be realatively safe.
Use your head, observe, pay attention, repeat, faster & harder.
My $.02
^^^^^^^^^^ What he said!!!

isolated roads is the key word though! You mite want to skope the raod out first!

:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
b.burton said:
^^^+1. I am around 220 and the front will float about 1/2 an inch at wide open throttle around redline in first, second & third. But that is at a track on track days, I haven't done this on the street. So if you aren't riding around pretending the street is your own personal race track, I wouldn't worry about bringing the front up.
I am about 150 and I when I hit the throttle I lean forward (when Im not trying to wheelie) and the front wheel comes up a few inches but it takes experience to learn how to handle it so like K-9 said....more time on the street and less on the net will benefit you more than reading all this.

·
Registered
305 Posts
only if youre on the throttle before you let out the clutch... i have heard guys say that an r6 COULD do a 2nd gear power wheelie but i have tried that hypothesis and it just dont happen... first gear it comes up REAL FAST

·
Registered
437 Posts
F1ERCE said:
If you take 1st to redline, you are most likely speeding
If you take 2nd to redline, you are definately speeding.
Cop isn't gonna care if your front comes up or not. That rev, will get his attention and your speed will motivate him to flag you down.
Unless you're playing games with the clutch, you really don't have to worry about a ticket for a wheelie cuz if yer bringin up the front from hard acceleration, yer gettin one for speeding
definately.

in addition,

a wheelie on a public road (in front of a cop) is almost always jail time (if you can talk your way out of it than kudos) no matter the speed, because it is "an exhibition of speed" as well as reckless endangerment. but then again who here hasnt hit 100 at one point. that right there can end in some serious jail time.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have picked up the front to a full balance point wheelie in 3rd gear withou using the clutch, so it all depends on the rider. I did have 1 down in the front sprocket.
K-9

·
16,500RPM
137 Posts
Hmm, maybe my bike is slow or something, I have an 07, and I can take mine to redline and upshift clutchlessly to second and third (redlining all gears) and i only get the floater in 1st and 2nd. (Im 185-190 lbs so i dunno, maybe 200 with gear etc..)

If I take it to like 13-14K in 1st drop throttle and lift, I can power it up about 4ft...no prob but it won't come up past 5 inches upon regular wot accel.

Maybe im just a fatass...I have also heard that the 06-07 have some sort of anti wheelie sensor or some bs like that...I dunno.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts